which fork

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
splashcroft

which fork

Post by splashcroft »

hi all,
i realise that there are about 400 posts on fork conversion but i have a few questions i cant seem to find the answers to but am sure they are around somewhere on here. i am a complete newbe to off roading. i love my kdx mainly because it seems indestructible.
basically i spend most of my time on the floor when i go off roading. i ride mainly enduro practice days at about 10-20mph with a mixture of tight tree runs and some open areas with loads of mud. my forks seem a little too soft. what is the advantages of swapping the forks out for usd kx or klr forks? would i benefit at all or not really notice the difference at my ability? im on a bit of a budget and parts seem hard to find in the uk with regards to new springs for the stock forks. would just uprating the springs in the stock forks be worth it or just a temporary thing where fitting different forks would be better?
i weight about 240 pounds with gear and am 6 foot 4 ish.
any advice would be really helpful as i want to know im falling off and washing out because of me not because the bike is not as good as it could be.

also just another side line sorry to include in the fork posts but what would you recommend for sprokets? found last time i rode 1st gear i just ended up facing the other way. so ended up just staying in second upwards.
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: which fork

Post by jjavaman »

Stock springs will be way to soft for a big boy like you, thought I read on here that people were putting honda springs in if you can't get aftermarket. Klx 300 forks seem to be the ticket as they are a direct bolt on(triple clamps,etc) if you can get your hands on a set. I'm a light weight (155) and my forks seem ok for me, I'm going to try the shim removal trick and see if the free mod works and saves me from doing the klx upgrade. As for gearing, personally I like to have 1st saved for real tight stuff and try it use 2nd as much as possible(longer pull between shifts) that way if I'm getting stuck on a big hill,downshift and I'm out of there!
If you're not falling, you're not trying hard enough!
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

which fork

Post by bcdonyo »

Later model KX500 forks are a better choice IMO, they are fully adjustable (rebound), have much stronger triple clamps than the KLX, and the guards are easier to mount. Downsides-although they are a direct bolt on, you have to use a KX wheel and axle and they are a little taller, which will make you want to run them up in the triples about 3/4".
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

You need the correct rate springs for your weight.

Honda XR400R springs are .38 Kg/mm or .40 Kg/mm rate springs. Neither is correct for someone weighing 240.

Flex characteristic is one of the main reasons why riders switch to various USD fork conversions.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

There are other front ends that swap onto the KDX also, I think the CR and RM front ends are direct fit with a bearing swap.
Here is what Allballs has listed for direct fork swaps; http://www.allballsracing.com/index.php/forkconversion
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

If you only go 10-20mph, I would get a set of custom springs for your weight. Unless you also need to get rid of the underhang of those KDX forks.

You would have to get new springs for any fork you'd get. From what I've heard and read, those KDX forks are plush when going slow. They show their deficiencies when the speeds pick up.
splashcroft

which fork

Post by splashcroft »

cheers for all the advice everyone.
figure if i changed the springs in my stock forks i would change seals etc at the same time so even if i buy new forks i would have to do the same.
so i am going to add it all up and see what a different front end would work out at. seem to have more kx 250 and kx 100 parts here. would it make a difference between kx 500 or 250 or kx 100? if i am going to get aftermarket springs anyway does the forks matter as to which kx there r from?
cheers again for helping
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

KX 500 forks are a direct swap, given that you get the wheel too. KX 125/250 forks take some mods, see fork swap forum. KX 100 forks are "mini bike" forks and will not work unless you plan on dragging the frame on the ground.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

Your 220 will handle great if you just replace the springs and make sure the linkage, steering bearings, swingarm, wheel bearings, etc. are in good shape. Fredette Racing Products has a guide (link below) that will help you determine what springs you need to get things up to snuff. There have been a helluva lot of races won on the stock forks so don't worry that they are holding you back. Any bike will need stiffer springs and the KDX is no different. The stock forks are very compliant and are a great setup for tight single track.

If you are jonesing to do some mods, you should address the ergonomics. Since you aren't a 5 foot 6 inches tall 140 lb. asian guy, you're going to find it a bit cramped. A CR or YZ high bend bar is a start but you will want to look into some bar risers as well. It will make standing up much more comfortable and put you in a better position while seated. Just hang on to all of the stock parts (especially the forks if you do a swap) so that the bike can be returned to stock should you decide to sell it. A complete and stock bike in good shape will sell quickly and bring a good price.
any advice would be really helpful as i want to know im falling off and washing out because of me not because the bike is not as good as it could be.
It's not the bike. Obviously, you need good tires but other than that you just need to ride. You will find yourself falling much less frequently once you get some experience under your belt. You will also find that your dirt experience will make you a much better street rider. Now quit goofing off and get out there and hit the trail. :grin:

http://www.frpoffroad.com/aboutus.htm
splashcroft

which fork

Post by splashcroft »

haha glad i didnt buy the kx 100 forks then, would of been a touch embarrassing. looked into prices and kx 500 front end is way out of my price range. think im going to stick with the stock and just uprate the springs and redo all the seal etc. all the bearings seem good so will stick with it for a couple of seasons or so until i get a bit better and faster then save up for them. loving the bike.

just want to say thanks to all of you for your advice. probably would of ended up buying some mini bike forks for it by mistake without it.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Good luck with the work.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
MikeNZ

Post by MikeNZ »

hi how did u get on with the new springs. I am about the same weight as u and upgraded to .42 racetech springs. I would have to say that this has made a huge difference to handling especially on down hills, use to feel that the bike wanted to flip over, not so with the new springs. I would add that I have also upgraded rear to 5.8 (standard is 5.0) I would highly recommend this as well as It just flies over the rough stuff compared to the old spring. If you contact your local motor cycle wrecker see if they have the stock spring from a KLX 300 as these are 5.8 and fit kDX, that is what I have in mine and I brought it for $60 and was the best money I spent on bike after the heavier front springs. cheers mike t.