E vs H model stem for conversion?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
frame maker

Post by frame maker »

This may have been already covered, so my apologies if this is a redundant question (I tried to search, but didn't find the exact question covered).

I am planning a '01 KX250 fork conversion onto my '01 KDX220, however I want to save my complete 220 fork assembly for a future project. Therefore I plan to purchase a used triple clamp off eBay such to use the stem shaft for the conversion. Searching eBay there are many E model triples available, but fewer of the newer H model triples. So, in terms of the stem shafts, is there any dimensional difference between E and H model stems in terms of how they will fit into the KX lower triple clamp?

thanks.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: E vs H model stem for conversion?

Post by KDXGarage »

Get a 1998 or newer KDX stem, it is the same width, as best I remember.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
frame maker

Post by frame maker »

Thanks Jason for the reply.

Since I want to save the forks and triples for a future project, what I might do is use the stem shaft out of the existing triples (which are '01) for the conversion (per your suggestion)... then buy some cheap E model triples to use with the forks for the yet to be determined future project. I think that should work as long as E and H triples have the same fork spacing(?)
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Not sure how "exact" the measurements are, but I have my 94 (USD) front end on my 95 at the moment, bolted right on. I would find any lower triple for cheap and use that stem for the conversion. Every stem and triple will be a little different in fitting, so plan on having the machine work done no matter the stem that you use.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Uhhh, the stems and clamps DO have set measurements. Emig Racing and Applied used to sell stems.

I have a LOT of KX and KDX triple clamps that I have taken apart and measured, so my advice is based on that.

When the old stem drops right in by just letting it go from the hand, the difference is VERY obvious.

The difference in part numbers between 1995 - 1997 and 1998 - 2006 lower triple clamp part numbers????? BINGO. :lol:
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

The point I was trying to make is; If he buys an E series lower and it doesn't work (exact measurements) then he's out. He can't use the stem for the H w/o machining it or use it w/his H forks and upper...I don't KNOW if either situation is a problem. I do know that the stems will work on either bike, same bearings etc. But swapping E & H triples between forks...haven't done that.
If he buys an H clamp, or, assuming that the forks fit (which I wouldn't), an E complete triple, he's GTG. If he buys and E lower and it doesn't work with the H forks and upper, then he could simply use the stem with a little machining.
I guess the best bet would be to wait for an H triple to show up (no matter the year) and use that with the old forks and use his current stem for the conversion.
I purposely found a triple with the stem I needed for my conversion so that I could keep my original front end for another E series bike thats sitting around.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
frame maker

Post by frame maker »

Thanks everyone for the suggestions (and sorry to stir up controversy). I ended up purchasing the 1990 (E series) clamps on eBay for $10 +$10 shipping, so I'm only out $20 if the triple clamps turn out to be totally useless for the conversion or for re-use with the H series front end. Luckily if worst comes to worse, I have a metal lathe... and I know how to use it :grin: So making a stem from scratch is an easy option.

By the way, today I rode my newly acquired 220 for the first time... and I have to say the front forks on these bikes are horrible. Can't wait to get the KX forks on.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Frame, Try and see if the E series triples fit the H forks, you'll probably have to mock up the whole front end to make sure the fit is right. If the E series triple work, use your 01 stem. As Jason said, it presses right in vs the machining that the E stems need.
Don't forget that you will have to have the top spacer for the KX forks.
frame maker

Post by frame maker »

Thanks 6, that's exactly the plan. No worries on the top spacer... I've done at least a dozen or more fork conversions on other bikes (mostly sport / road racers) so that's a walk in the park. I'll let you know how the E clamps fit on the H front-end assembly once they arrive next week.
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

I bought a E series triple and it had the same stem as the H model.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Frame, are you milling your own? I'd like to buy one or two for another conversion.
frame maker

Post by frame maker »

6 Riders wrote:Frame, are you milling your own? I'd like to buy one or two for another conversion.

Not at this point. I always try to find existing parts first. Making my own parts from scratch is last resort if something else won't work. Occasionally I have made stems and other chassis parts including complete frames. In this case I'll wait till the eBay parts come in the mail and see what will work best.

That said, I will likely need to make the top shim/spacer and could certainly make an extra or two.

Also feel free to contact me if you have any projects that requires custom fabrication. I don't do engine work or internal suspension (valving work), but I take on just about any other type of motorcycle projects.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

The top shim/spacer is what I was talking about. If you make them, I'd probably want 2, I want to do another fork conversion and my riding partner wants to do one now also.....Even if one or the other doesn't happen, nice to have a spare.

Here's a project for you.....make the H series lower headlight mount fit KX trees. The "ears" would need to be cut off and moved "inward" to meet the mounting points of KX triples.
frame maker

Post by frame maker »

6 Riders wrote:The top shim/spacer is what I was talking about. If you make them, I'd probably want 2, I want to do another fork conversion and my riding partner wants to do one now also.....Even if one or the other doesn't happen, nice to have a spare.

Here's a project for you.....make the H series lower headlight mount fit KX trees. The "ears" would need to be cut off and moved "inward" to meet the mounting points of KX triples.
I'll plan doing on a few extra spacers.. not a problem. The ears would be easy too... I'll just add them next time I get some 16ga sheet laser cut. It might be later in the year though.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Sound good to me...I'm patient. If you can do the ears, I will buy a new lower and ship it strait to you.....that would be awesome!
frame maker

Post by frame maker »

Here is an update on my stem swap... I received the E series triple clamps this week and removed the stem. I also removed the stem from my KX triples and sure enough the stem from the E series is a slightly loose fit. Today I removed the complete front end from my KDX (H series) and also removed the stem. The H series stem was press fit (without any modification) into the KX triples. So answer to the question is that E and H series stems are different.

The KX stem at the base diameter is 30.1mm (and guessing by the fit that the H series stem is similar, although didn't measure it). The E series stem measured to 30.0mm at the base. The difference of 0.1mm isn't much but does make the difference between loose and press fit. If it were me, I'd look at other solutions than knurling for fitting the E stems in the KX triple... but that opens up a completely different discussion.

6, lets communicate off-line about spacers and ears. Here is my direct email: andbike@pacbell.net
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Jason wrote:Get a 1998 or newer KDX stem, it is the same width, as best I remember.

Jason wrote:Uhhh, the stems and clamps DO have set measurements. Emig Racing and Applied used to sell stems.

I have a LOT of KX and KDX triple clamps that I have taken apart and measured, so my advice is based on that.

When the old stem drops right in by just letting it go from the hand, the difference is VERY obvious.

The difference in part numbers between 1995 - 1997 and 1998 - 2006 lower triple clamp part numbers????? BINGO. :lol:

Thanks for the update.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Do the H forks fit in the E triples?