Kx fork guards on klx300 forks how to

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

I bought a set of kx guards for my klx300 forks after trying unsuccessfully find Klx guards. Some of the bolt holes on the forks don't match, but here is how I got them to fit without drilling any new holes on the guards:
Get 4 of these u-clamps. These I already had, but they cost $1.09 at my local hardware store.
The two front holes on the brake-side guard line up, but the side hole doesn't, so here's where the u clamp plate goes
This lines the holes perfectly and adds strengh to the side of the guard.
The non brake side needs a plate on the front as well since the fork only has one hole in front. The hole closest to the spokes mounts up to the guard fine, so slip the u clamp plate under that bolt which allows the other hole to be mounted with a bolt as well.
Mount the side hole with the other clamp plate and you're finished.
Last edited by Actionman on 09:32 pm Jan 04 2014, edited 1 time in total.
2002 KDX 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Here's the guards installed Image
2002 KDX 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Almost forgot: the guard upper holders need something to make them fit tighter on the upper fork tubes, so I cut strips of rubber from an old inner tube and used industrial glue to mount the strips to the fork guides: Image
2002 KDX 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Finally, to keep the forks from hitting the gas tank, I drilled small holes in each steering stop and screwed a small screw into each stop.ImageThe screws are the same kind that are used on the lid of the front brake master cylinder. I coated the screw with jb weld and put a washer from a carb float bowl screw behind the screw to take up the proper amount of slack. I only had to drill a shallow hole for these small screws(probably 2-3mm deep) which was plenty deep enough to hold the screw in with the jb weld making sure they won't back out. I feel also that any hole bigger than that would compromise the integrity of those steering stops.
2002 KDX 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Sorry I didn't get a closeup, but here are the guards mounted up. They actually look factory as opposed to the kxf ones I had cobbed up before, plus they are lighter and stiffer.
2002 KDX 200
nightfiref7efi
Supporting Member

Post by nightfiref7efi »

Hello what year and brand are the kx guards? Thanks
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

nightfiref7efi wrote:Hello what year and brand are the kx guards? Thanks
Year is 2000 kx 250. I don't know the brand, ufo maybe? $30 on ebay. Use the u-bolt mounting plates for a sturdier mount and to keep from drilling any holes in your new guards! It looks like they're meant to be there.
2002 KDX 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Kx fork guards on klx300 forks how to

Post by Actionman »

Man, my old kdx looked awesome lol. Every time I see those pics I question my judgement in trading it away :( I'm still utterly amazed at how great that powerband was; nothing but torquey pulling from zero rpm to wherever you need it to take you. A bike I scorned back in my youth proves to be the best bike I've ever ridden . Kdx200-220's are legit! Again: anyone thinking they need a mx250 if any brand for the woods needs to forget that nonsense and stick with the kdx!!!! I love my rm250, but I really, really loved my kdx. If I ever see another one regardless of year I'm buying it!
2002 KDX 200