97 KX250 forks

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
TN Dirtrider

97 KX250 forks

Post by TN Dirtrider »

I have a 2000 KDX 200 that still has the stock forks. I have access to a 97 KX 250 roller with a blown motor for $200. My plan is to remove the entire front end off the KDX and replace it with the entire front end of the KX. I've been reading all the threads about fork conversions and realize that I won't know until I try it how it is all going to fit together. I am a little bit confused about bearings, based off some comments I have seen others make. My thought is that once I have the KDX stem pressed into the KX triple, that I shouldn't have any issues with using normal KDX bearings. Is that correct, or am I missing something? I may just sent the whole thing off to RB and let him deal with it, but I don't want to do that if I don't need to and can get it done locally cheaper.

Thoughts? Any bug-a-boos to look out for? My plan is to use the front wheel, brake, etc from the KX. It is missing the master cylinder so my hope is that I can just transfer my brake lever and mc from the KDX to the KX and connect the KX brake line to the KDX mc. We'll see once I get it here and try it out.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 97 KX250 forks

Post by bufftester »

You can reuse the MC, line, lever and brake caliper from the KDX on the KX forks no issue. As for the forks, you would need to get the KDX stem pressed into the lower KX triple and then use KDX bearings/races. There is also a spacer required for the upper triple. Most all that info is in the fork swap forum.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I have the 97 forks on my KDX. Didn't have to knurl the stem, but yo might have to as each bike is a little different. I used the spacer available from RB Designs. I didn't get the stock brakes from the KX, so I used my KDX brakes, ended up buying KX brake though, it is the same thing, slight difference in the MC, but the are swappable all the same. Get it done, you'll love it :mrgreen:
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
TN Dirtrider

Post by TN Dirtrider »

I have my forks rebuilt, and have my triple clamps at RB getting the stems swapped. I also bought some new fork guards for the KX forks since the old ones were trashed.

The new guide for the left fork guard has the built in piece to hold the brake line. I am planning on using the KDX front brake caliper and line, retaining the KDX routing. Question, is it sufficient to just route the brake line through the guide, or do I need to come up with some way to incorporate a clamp, like the stock KDX forks? I would think just routing it through the holder would be ok, but would like to hear what some folks that have done this think.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

What fork guards are you using? My 94 has the hose routing built into the fork guard, if you are using something like that, you really shouldn't need anything else. If you are talking about the "tab" on the fork guards, then you will need to clamp the brake line to that...using the KDX brake line clamp
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
TN Dirtrider

Post by TN Dirtrider »

They are UFO fork guards for a 97 KX 250. They have the plastic loop on the guide for holding the line. I figured it would be fine, but since the KDX actually clamped the line I wanted to make certain.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I don't think that that is enough. The brake line just floats in that loop. You need to secure it to something.....I'm using the KX line and have it mounted at the stock "under fork" mount at the bottom of the fork leg. I've decided to do a custom brake line so I can get the KDX length and the KX mounting.
FYI the 97 KX brake line uses the same caliper as the KDX, it is "looped" from the top of the caliper and then down under the fork leg. It is a little different than most KX brake lines.
TN Dirtrider

Post by TN Dirtrider »

Yeah, I am using the KDX caliper and brake line. I have the KX caliper and line, but they aren't in the greatest condition. Pretty much just using the caliper for parts. Hopefully my brake line will be long enough. I don't anticipate there being an issue there since I am going to raise the forks up to match the KDX fork length. My triple and stem should be back from RB on Friday, so I'm planning on having it all bolted up over the weekend.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

The KDX line is significantly LONGER than the KX line. You just need to figure out how to secure it...securely.....to the fork or as many have done to the fork guard. This will keep it from wrapping up when the fork is moving up and down.
TN Dirtrider

Post by TN Dirtrider »

Makes sense...thanks for the heads up. I'll figure out a way to incorporate the clamp.
TN Dirtrider

Post by TN Dirtrider »

Got my stuff back from RB yesterday and got it 90% all mounted back up. Just have to finish re-mounting my headlight assembly, replace one fork guard bolt that I lost somewhere along the way, and figure out the clamp for the brake line. Made a boo-boo or two along the way that caused me extra work....like bolting everything together and then realizing I had left off the plastic cap piece that goes over the top bearing of the steering stem. Had to pull it all back off to put it back on. GRRRR.

Otherwise, things look really good. I also re-sprung my rear shock for my weight, so once I get the sag set and the other items listed above I'll be able to test ride it. Can't wait...now if it will just quit snowing.

I did find out one little tidbit about brake calipers. I am using my KDX brakes, but have a 97 KX 250 parts bike and it looked like the brakes would swap over, so I have been using the KX brake for parts. Somewhere along the way I dropped the anti-rattle clip (think that is what is called) from the KDX, so I just pulled the one from the KX to use it. Turns out the clips are slightly different design, and the one from the KX doesn't have a notch in it so it hits the rotor. Luckily, I found the KDX clip and all is now well.

I'm also going to have to find some different brush guards. The mounts for the ones that are on there interfere with the tops of the fork tubes, which now sit higher above the clamps.

Oh yeah...one more thing. The KX triple has the steering stops a little further out, so when turning left it just BARELY touches the tank, but going right it also hits the rad guards. Going to have to do some tweaking there. I think the tank part will be ok, since it is just barely touching.

Pics later, once I get it all done.
TN Dirtrider

Post by TN Dirtrider »

Here are a few pics. 2000 KDX 200 with 1997 KX 250 forks, re-sprung for my weight with new seals, bushings, fork guards, etc. I am using the front wheel and brake rotor from the KX 250, with the front brake and brake line routing from the KDX. I transferred the brake line clamp from the KDX forks to the fork guards, that way I should avoid any issues with the brake line getting into the spokes.

I had to grind a little bit off of the rad guard mount, as the KX triple clamps allow more range of motion in the steering, and the forks were hitting the mounts. Got that taken care off, but now the forks just BARELY hit the tank when the steering is maxed out. I'm either going to ignore it, or perhaps heat up the tank where it hits and mold a little "divot" there.

royadams
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by royadams »

I don't think your brake line is going to work, It needs to slide up and down. You need to clamp it to the bottom of the fork guard
TN Dirtrider

Post by TN Dirtrider »

royadams wrote:I don't think your brake line is going to work, It needs to slide up and down. You need to clamp it to the bottom of the fork guard
DUH!! You are right....not sure what I was thinking. Glad you caught that before I went riding and jacked it up.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Looks good brotha. You may be able to use different mounts for your hand guards. Mine didn't work either when I did my fork swap, I bought these from rocky mountain and they seem like they are going to work pretty good for me atleast:
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/348 ... rd-Adaptor
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Yeah make sure the brake line clamp is attached to the fork guard and not the fork guard guide, I think I saw in another thread where you already did that. For your steering stops what most have done to remedy it is drill and tap the steering stops and then insert a pan head screw to set your stop like this: http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... op#p140838. bike looks great
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

How did you end up mounting the lower headlight mounts?
TN Dirtrider

Post by TN Dirtrider »

6 Riders wrote:How did you end up mounting the lower headlight mounts?
Used a couple of these: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Nite-Ize-12- ... /203210641

Thread it through the mounting hole and then loop it down around the lower triple clamp. Bring it back up and twist it together. I'll try to get some pics later. Nothing fancy, but it works.
TN Dirtrider

Post by TN Dirtrider »

Tyl3r wrote:Looks good brotha. You may be able to use different mounts for your hand guards. Mine didn't work either when I did my fork swap, I bought these from rocky mountain and they seem like they are going to work pretty good for me atleast:
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/348 ... rd-Adaptor
I ended up getting mine to work ok. Put the brush guards into the old bench top vise and adding some new bends to make everything fit ok. That being said, the actual clamps for the handlebars are for 7/8" bars, and my bars are 1-1/8". At some point I'll replace them with the right size clamps, or maybe even some Bonz mounts.