KX500 Forks, KDX front wheel?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

KX500 Forks, KDX front wheel?

Post by Tyl3r »

Just won a 1994 KX500 front end on ebay. Figured I'd try to figure out what parts I need to get it on my 02 200 while I'm waiting on it to get here.

Here is what all Im getting:

Wanted to know if I could use my KDX front brakes/wheel/odometer with it? I dont know what the width of a KX500 front hub is. I believe the KDX200 front wheel and odo are 5-1/2" wide iirc? Didn't know if it would be possible to use it along with a spacer or two if it was narrower than the KX's. Also, I see someone on the local c-list has a KX500 front wheel and rotor. If I were to get that, would I be able to use my KDX caliper with it? Or am I just screwed all around and should start looking for KX500 brakes and front wheel? Trying to do it on the mega cheap any help you can lend would be appreciated!

Thanks!
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: KX500 Forks, KDX front wheel?

Post by 6 Riders »

Things that you will need; KX front wheel and axle and fork guards.
Things that you will want; (IF it used the lower brake line mount molded into the lower part of the fork) Brake line from a 97 KX 250 OR a custom made brake line. This gives you the ability to route the brake line under the fork and mount it the way it was meant to be mounted on the KX AND use your factory caliper. I went with a whole new caliper, but I'm finding that going with a custom brake line would be best, since the KDX line goes ABOVE the headlight and the KX lines go in front of the number plate. So after putting a KX caliper on my conversion, I find that it is a waist of money, since the KDX caliper works, the line just needs to be rerouted.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

On my hybrid I used the KX250 forks the KX hub/axle/rim, and the KDX front caliper/hose/Master Cylinder. Hose is routed KDX style with no issues.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Awesome, thank you both. Told me exactly what I was looking for! I'm on the hunt for a whole front wheel assembly now. Doing a cross check on the Kawi website, I believe that I can use a front wheel from a 94-2004 KX500, a 93-98 KX250, or a 96 KX125. This correct? Or are there more years that would work? And im assuming whatever rotor is on one of those wheels, it will work?

The forks should be getting here sometime today (according to FedEx atleast), so teardown will start soon. Its quad riding season now where I'm at, so it won't bother me having the KDX torn apart for a couple weeks... I'll be ridin the quad anyways lol
I guess I'll just figure stuff out as I go. I will for surely post whatever findings that I may find.

Another question... my new set-up is coming with stem bearings... they dont look to be in the best shape from the pictures... are my stem bearings on the KDX200 going to be the same size as the KX500 ones?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

KX 250 and KX 125 wheels are the same for same years, so 93-98 KX 125 wheel should work also.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Yeah the KX wheels are the same for 125/250, just get the right generation. The 99-07s had different spacers setups but the axle/hubs are basically the same. The rotor should be fine. As for stem bearings, The upper and lower bearings are identical on the KX5 and the KDX H-model. You need to put new steering bearings in, they are pricey but you shoudn't reuse them.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Alright cool. I was tossing around the idea of breakin out the measuring tools and draw up an axle to use the kdx wheel :hmm: (im a design enginner, i do it at work, why not do it for myself?) May be too pricey...i shall see... dont hold me to that lol

The steering bearings that came with the forks look pretty good... u sure that i shouldnt re use the kdx or those?

What should i do to make sure the shocks are good? I know there is fluid in there, i can hear it. Guess i should learn how to check the fluid... should i change it? How do i know the seals and stuff are good?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

I know RB does a modded axle to allow the use of the KDX wheel and speedo drive with the 99-03 KX forks, so it can be done.

In general you don't want to reuse steering bearings because they do wear and match the races (which likely didn't come with the stem) You could probably get away with it if they are fairly unused and you feel no notchiness or slop, but they will wear to the new races and require earlier replacement anyway. Having said all that I am guilty of reusing them in the past when funds were tight and I wanted to ride, but it's better not to.

As for the shocks, wipe the legs down and cycle the shocks. If you get a lot of oily film building up, or oil leaking around the seals, they need replacing. Cheap and easy work, lots of how-tos out on the net. Checking is usually by opening them up, taking out the springs and compressing the fork and measuring the oil level from the top of the tube. Don't know the spec for the KX5 boingers, but 100-140mm is usually in the ballpark for most USDs of that generation. Changing oil is as simple as dumping them upside down over a bucket and pumping the damper rod, then refill.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

bufftester wrote:I know RB does a modded axle to allow the use of the KDX wheel and speedo drive with the 99-03 KX forks, so it can be done.
Last I checked He doesn't do this anymore. As you said though, it can be done. Maybe if you spend the time to make one up, other people would be interested in buying one from you...like me....HINT :wink: HINT :wink:
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

Alright, I shall replace the stem bearings then. I can keep the stock KDX races tho? I cycled the suspension and no oily residue anywhere, so I'm gonna call the seals and everything good so far for now.

I ran into a snag when I was looking at how to use the KDX wheel... The KDX fork has a little little nub on the inside that holds a little slot in the odo gear housing on the wheel to keep it from rotating. :snooty: I dunno what I could do on the KX forks to replicate this? This may stop me in my tracks... I'm not about to weld a nub on the cast housing of the axle down there... how important is this nub? What did RB do with his modded axle in regards to this nub?

Then looking into it more... I was initially thinking I could have the OD of the KX axle turned down to accept the KDX wheel and just make a new spacer for the axle to thread into... simple enough. Well, I wasn't thinking that the axle was hollow. So A new axle and adaptor (whatever you want to call it) would need to made from scratch:

Ok, No biggie. Only thing to do there is figure out a suitable material and heat treat and corrosion resistant plating if necessary. So if anyone wants to make one, I'm pretty sure thats what you would want. The drawing is not to scale. If the "nub" issue can be addressed... I may go ahead and have an axle set-up made and test her out. All goes well, I suppose I could see about more being made.

I did slap the forks up on the bike today to check it out and see how it looks...and man do I love it! I cant wait to get the axle/ wheel figured out, make the trees black, get fork guards on and go tear it up! Gotta wait til winter is done tho :doh: I'm loving how it looks atleast lol

I had to give the other girl some attention too, so she got a bath lol

and to clarfy, yes, my KDX caliper bolts right up and looks like it will work out!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Keep the bearing and race paired up.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

so then are you saying that I can re-use my KDX stem bearings because I am keeping the KDX races?

Or are you saying that if I am buying new bearings, I should be buying new races as well?

I was thinking that I was just going to buy new bearings and leave the KDX races alone.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Tyl3r wrote:so then are you saying that I can re-use my KDX stem bearings because I am keeping the KDX races? Yes

Or are you saying that if I am buying new bearings, I should be buying new races as well? New bearings will come w/races

I was thinking that I was just going to buy new bearings and leave the KDX races alone.
kdx 220r drz 400e

Post by kdx 220r drz 400e »

So I was thinking of doing this same conversion. I have a few questions though. Will I have to get a kx rim to fit it or is there another solution, and what else do I need??