What year wheels?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Jlfabricator

What year wheels?

Post by Jlfabricator »

Hey all,
I'm doing the KX fork conversion and picked up a full 2003 front end off ebay and am trying to figure out my wheel situation.
Long story short, some ebay descriptions suck and my research wasn't quite thorough enough.

Will a 2006 KX 250F wheel direct fit with a 2003 KX250 fork and brake?

(if no) Will a 2005 KX250F hub work with a 2006 KX250F wheel and spokes?

Thanks
I modify everything I touch
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: What year wheels?

Post by 6 Riders »

A 2005 KX hub should work with your KDX rim, no need to buy the 2nd wheel just to get a rim.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Jlfabricator

Post by Jlfabricator »

Spokes and nipples will work with the KX hub too?
I have no problems stripping the wheel down for the rim but if I have to spend $70 on spokes or I find my rim is bent I'd rather try use the wheel off the '06 if possible.
KDX wheel has a bit of a wobble and I haven't taken a good look yet because I planned on not using it. The '06 wheel was an almost brand new take off, probably never seen dirt, tire still has hair on it. I'd really like to utilize that than spend the hours on the KDX wheel.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I thin there is an issue with the 2006 KX wheel on 2003 forks due to rotor height or something.

The spokes are different on 2006 compared to 2005. The Excel spoke kits are different.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Jlfabricator

Post by Jlfabricator »

So it seems the spoke kit from excel is different from '05 to '06. However they use the same rim for both years. Therefor I could get an excel spoke kit for the '05 hub and use the '06 Takasago rim.
OR
use the '05 hub with the KDX rim. So......
In order to put the 2005 KX hub on the 1999 KDX rim what needs to happen?
Can I use the stock KDX spokes?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

You would use the KX spokes, there is a possibility that the spokes are a different diameter than what the rim you're thinking of using is made for. If this is the case, then to put the KDX rim on, and the KX spokes are a larger diameter, you would have to drill out the rim. If the KDX spokes are larger, you must verify that the spokes are the correct length (they need to be exact) and then drill out the hub. Same goes for using the newer KX wheel. My guess is that the newer KX wheel/hub use larger diameter spokes, but it could be that the spokes are just a different length.
If the spokes are the right diameter, no matter what rim you are using (should be 36 hole rims), you remove the spokes from the rim that you are using on the bike. Next unlace the Rim from the hub that you are using on the bike, take care that you know EXACTLY how they are laced in there, at least 3 or 4 BIG (not phone) pictures that you can get a real good look at would be a good idea. Using the spokes from the hub that you are using, re-lace the wheel, True it up and mount a tire. Seems simple enough until you actually try to do it :doh:
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Jlfabricator

Post by Jlfabricator »

How I'm reading this is telling me that I really need to just bite the bullet and take the '06 wheel apart and see what I'm dealing with. I put the '06 wheel, minus the brake rotor, on the forks last night and it seems the rotor to caliper alignment is off my 5-10mm just by eye. So I'm tossing the idea of buying an '06 rotor just to see how it all fits. I also called Excel to see what the difference is between the '06 and '05 spokes and they couldn't tell me off the cuff. However they did say if I got an '04 '05 250F spoke kit the '05 hub will work with the '06 Takasago rim. However that's $100+ that I was trying not to spend. I'll do some tearing down and see what happens. If all else fails I still have a almost brand new wheel for under $200. :boogie: Thanks for the help