upgrade FORKS hard decision ?????

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
JBM KDX

Post by JBM KDX »

Right so my 95 KDX best easiest fork upgrade be a KLX 250-300-650 forks only ? or need clamps as well....all I can find locally is 92 KX125 complete front end but is rough leaking forks small lower part of chrome has come off etc ....then for the same money a 95 RM 250 front end in good condition .....is some early 90's KX250 forks only but pretty overpriced....personal I'm leaning towards the RM set-up but am finding it hard to find out if they are a good forks or should I just wait till a KLX set of forks turn up as I'm in NZ buying from the likes of the US will cost me $500 for 06 KLX 300(twice the price but twice as good ?) ...I'm 190lbs B grade charger ....most of my riding is fast rough hard pack trails with a mix of extreme enduro ...

been doing some looking 2010 KLX 250 forks like new .....do the 250 run the same springs as the 300's
bcdonyo
Supporting Member

Re: upgrade FORKS hard decision ?????

Post by bcdonyo »

I think the newer KLX forks have less travel than the 300s or pre-08 250s. I like the KX500 swap, stiffer triple clamps than the KLX and fully adjustable, plus they bolt right up.
JBM KDX

Re: upgrade FORKS hard decision ?????

Post by JBM KDX »

Yeah kx500 very rare here hardly even see the bikes for sale
Becoming very collectible asking big $$$ could always import some I guess or just wait
JBM KDX

Post by JBM KDX »

well with the bike in many pieces and one fork leaking on my floor I'm still very keen to upgrade and sell of old KDX parts ...I can get a set of KLX triples ...then I have a choice of forks 2000 YZ125 or 2001 KTM WP 250sx(both with axles/triples/handlebars) or whole 95 RM 250 front end......now can I make one of these work i.e using KLX triples fit forks then buy wheel brake assembly to suit ???

did end up with a brand new KDX front guard hoping this would fit KLX triples ?? have heard one guy had no issues bolting up KDX front brakes to CR125 front end .....

done some more study I understand KLX triple clamp will bolt up to my KDX no worries and will hold a 43mm USD which is the same size of the WP 250sx forks I can get with axle ...so then all I need is a KTM front wheel and brake assembly ....
JBM KDX

Post by JBM KDX »

add to the mix a whole rolling KX250 no motor etc