Do klx300 forks hit the tank when turning?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

Just bought a complete set of forks and clamps from a 01 klx300. Anyone have a clue if theyll hit my tank when i turn? Theyll be here in a few days, and i need to start searching for a solution so i can have my ducks in a row when they get here.
2002 KDX 200
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Do klx300 forks hit the tank when turning?

Post by diymirage »

don't know about the KLX300s but the KX125 forks I have mounted on my KDX did hit
my solution was drilling a hole in both of the steering stops and then running a M6 tap through there
it only took the head of a pan head screw to make up the distance but I could have used washers as spacers

(pretty sure I removed the washers shown in the pics later)
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

thats a good idea! Save me from finding an aluminum welder.
2002 KDX 200
zepplin153

Post by zepplin153 »

I have klx300 forks. They do bump ever so lightly. I don't recommend drilling and adding on anything. I have had those forks on there for about 3 years now and I ride and race regularly and have no more than pea-sized scratch on my tank. Its not a big deal.
'98 KDX 200 (KLX300 Forks)
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

that reminds me zep, I do have an oversized tank on my bike...im sure that plays into it
so does running an aftermarket strapped on headlight (so I went back to bolts)
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

i gots to put seals in em supposedly, and i need a set of fork guards as well. They looked pretty nice though and came with a set of handlebars and front axle. I was going to rebuild my old forks anyway, so i just decided to get the hard stuff over with. Ill be springing them for my weight (200lbs) as well.
2002 KDX 200
zepplin153

Post by zepplin153 »

Fork seals are a must. Its not a hard job to do yourself either. I'm lucky I have a guy named Guy down the street who will fix anything for $40-$60 so i take them to him but i have done them before . Fork guards are definitely worth having. The orig fork guards look pretty cool. They break easy though. I just lost another on the trail this weekend. I found the 98-02 Kx125-250 UFO fork guards work on the klx forks they are much cheaper too. You have to drill a hole in on e side to make it work supposedly.. but I ordered mine Monday and have looked at many bikes like that with that setup. I will post a pic once i get them on there. The extra work you are talking about is totally worth it. I haven't once looked back to my old forks. Plus they look sick! If i were you though. dont bother respringing them. Save your money and put it into some KX forks. Just click the compression a little firmer and when you do the seals put a little extra oil in them. I'm 195, that's what I did and they are as good as they will get. I can keep up with any KTM300 on the trail.
'98 KDX 200 (KLX300 Forks)
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

My friend has a 2000 kx250 im buying for $200. I was on his case for months to sell and he didnt want to- until the day after i ordered my klx forks lol. Anyway, the kx engine is shot, but it has nice forks, aftermarket triple clamps, and a lot of aftermarket goodies. Ill eventually mount those forks. Baby steps!
2002 KDX 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

I just installed my 2005 Klx forks onto my 02 kdx200- and the forks definitely hit the tank lol. There's about 2-3mm space between the steering stops and frame stop. It's not a deal breaker, but the screw trick into the clamp stops might be advisable. Heads up!
2002 KDX 200
rsr02
Supporting Member

Post by rsr02 »

Like I have said mine did hit. My fix was to grab the heat gun, warm up the spot on the tank and ever so gently cave in the spot where the triple clamp hits. It wasn't much and at full lock the clamps still just rubs the tank, but before I did it the would make solid contact. I have a piece of duct tape on the spot, and I don't think they have worn through the tape yet.
1997 220, KLX forks-pipe-reeds-trials tire
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

rsr02 wrote:Like I have said mine did hit. My fix was to grab the heat gun, warm up the spot on the tank and ever so gently cave in the spot where the triple clamp hits. It wasn't much and at full lock the clamps still just rubs the tank, but before I did it the would make solid contact. I have a piece of duct tape on the spot, and I don't think they have worn through the tape yet.
I really don't want to alter the tank. I'm putting small screws in the clamp stops.
2002 KDX 200
jrnolan

Post by jrnolan »

I am installing a 2000 KX 500 fork on my 1996 KDX 200. The triple hits the tank on only one side. So I removed the tank to find that the space between the frame and fork is greater on one side (hitting the tank when it is installed on the other side) what is up? Bent frame, sloppy work on frame stop? Don't worry about or what do you folks think?
Asewell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Asewell »

2003 klx forks on an 84 kdx 200 hit ever so slightly. Re-valved and .46 springs installed,front end way better than before but kind of skittery in roots rocks and single track, waiting on .42 springs to arrive. KDXRIDER.NET decals to be installed soon.