200 kdx 93 94 fork conversion

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
frenche200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by frenche200 »

hello, I have not found answers to these questions, but my understanding of English can be also slows my search

I own a 93 kdx 200 (with inverted blue fork), I wonder if it is possible to install a KX fork but keeping my fork holders , my wheel, and my braking ...

or just changing the fork and the fork holders (I like to keep my wheel, and my brake)

if one of these solutions is possible, what year KX should it look?

thank you :)
i'm French and I don't speak English very well, so, please, excuse me :)
sarrant

Re: 200 kdx 93 94 fork conversion

Post by sarrant »

Neither are possible without fab work.

The english term for "Fork holder" is triple clamp. The 1990 KX fork legs are the only year that will fit your triple clamp, but you'd still need to use the KX wheel.

See the Fork Conversion section for all your options. The 93-94 fork conversion will be the same as all other years.
frenche200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by frenche200 »

Thank you for that information,(and thanks for the triple clamp)!! :)
I read a lot of posts, if I understand : (example) to get a fork KX 93 I need all (fork, triple clamp, wheel ,brake) and with a press retrieve the steering column (between triple clamp) of the KDX to put on the KX (triple clamp) ? that's right?

I have another question: why i must take the KX wheel?
can not just change the bearing of my KDX wheel to fit on the wheel axle of the KX ?
sarrant

Post by sarrant »

It might be possible, but would (at very least) require lathing up some custom spacers to get the job done.

Here's a similar KLX swap that maintains the KLX front wheel, and triple (you can't do that with a KDX triple for any KX fork but 1990). He includes the fabrication drawings for the spacers: http://www.planetklx.org/techtips/kx-to ... kswap.html.

Most find it easier just to use the KX wheel.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

just curious about why you want to go with a KX fork? The USDs on the 93-94 are decent, and the main reason for going from the stock fork to USDs is to eliminate all the fork leg hanging below the axle (and gaining a little more adjustability in rebound/compression). Properly sprung and adjusted the 93 USDs will perform just as well as the KX units (still one of the great mysteries to me why Kawasaki made the decision to go back to a standard fork in 95)
frenche200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by frenche200 »

Sarrant: once again thank you, very informative :)

Bufftester: I am very happy with my fork in the slow, but the big shock it comes easily limit , and ESPECIALLY in the fast, if the coating is not perfectly smooth handlebars made ​​left, right, left, right ... a lot
: Tightening the triple clamp is good, I tried to play on the tire pressure, tire change, even change the wheel , and it does not change the problem ... at the same place I go faster with any other motorcycle without scare me ... but if you have settings information: oil quantity, hold .. I am interested :grin:
sarrant

Post by sarrant »

The 93 KDX forks are not comparable to KX stuff. They're pretty much the same as the conventionals on the H bikes. The best thing about them is really that they came sprung better for most riders than the later ones.

All that said, Frenche, I'm not sure changing the forks is gonna fix the tank-slapping action you're dealing with. That's more of a factor of the KDXs short geometry, built for easy handling at slow speeds.

The most common fix for this on off-road bikes is to install a steering damper.
frenche200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by frenche200 »

I note Sarrant, but when I talk fast it is 50 miles per hour (80 kilometers per hour) ... it is still not very fast ...
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I have a 94, with the stock forks, and a 95 with the KX fork conversion. The MAIN problem with the stock forks (on any KDX) is the spring weight is WAY to light for most (if not all) riders. Took my 94's forks and had them "rebuilt" and "tuned", it made a HUGE difference in the fast stuff. What was done was; .41kg springs (stock where .29's), new seals, and a "balancing hole" drilled in the guide rod. According to the builder, The inner parts, and the wipers, of the forks where in very (like new) good shape and those parts didn't need replacing, it's nice to find an honest shop! The forks ARE NOT TUNABLE, so there is NO COMPARISON to having an MX fork. I can now ride that bike much faster and still have control of the bike, it made a world of difference. Having your forks serviced will make a HUGE difference in the controllability of the KDX, but won't stack up to having an MX fork. As far as "tuning" the KDX forks, you have to do it with oil weight and volume. I was told to run 7.5 weight oil ONLY, but that is considering my weight and riding style. I have taken the bike to an MX and GP track and I can comfortably jump the bike now (at my level, not doing doubles etc.) and ride whoops sections with some real speed and I feel very comfortable doing it. Before I had the forks done, the front end of the bike was a limiter to how fast I could ride whoops and jumping was just flat out scary.
Cost of the two projects is a consideration also, the fork rebuild/re-spring was $250, the KX fork conversion was $400 and I HAVE NOT had them serviced and tuned yet, so add another $350 to that. My cost on the conversion was a little high because I wanted to keep the stock front end whole, so hunting down extra parts ran me an extra $100 +/-.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
sarrant

Post by sarrant »

50 miles per hour is screaming fast offroad on a short-wheelbase bike, particularly over any sort of rough terrain.
frenche200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by frenche200 »

Hello and sorry for the late reply ... I read with great interest all the advice given here, a preparation of the fork why not, but it does not fit my budget, here kx 93 fork with triple clamp cost 110 dollars, that's why I was considering a conversion because it fit my budget
After for the short wheelbase, I could extend the swing arm, but I really like the handling of my bike, so no...

I understand I have two choices: to invest a lot of money for a preparation, or else be slower in the fast! :)