Kdx 250 92 fork conversion

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Jarrod82

Kdx 250 92 fork conversion

Post by Jarrod82 »

Hi all first time here I'm rebuilding a kdx 250 92 model and I have played around with the rear suspension setup and got it working with a 2000 kx rear shock if any one is interested but I'm having trouble with the front end forks. I got the stem pressed out of the kdx triple clamp today and went to put it in the 96 bottom triple clamp and it was to lose? Any help with that. I have access to a 2000 triple clamp if need be and how have people got around the top clamp being bigger around the stem?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Kdx 250 92 fork conversion

Post by 6 Riders »

There is plenty info in the "fork conversion" section, but what you need to do is have the stem Knurled at a machine shop (this makes it bigger) and get a "spacer" that fits into the top tree and around the stem, this tightens up the bearing. You can find said spacer from RB Designs, make your own OR I think it is All Balls Bearings that has a chart for bearing conversions. If your bike and forks are listed, then you can just buy the bearing.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

If you are referring to 1996 KX125 or KX250, then reassemble the 1996 clamps and sell them, then get 1997.

You won't be buying any magic bearing. If that was the case, there would have never been a fork conversion area. :-)
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Jarrod82

Post by Jarrod82 »

Thanks people for your info Jason reason for the 97 triple clamps?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

steering stem OD's / inner ID of clamp in steering stem area

(based on personal experience in disassembling and measuring about all the OEM KX clamps from the 90's)
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128