98 KDX 220 fork upgrade

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
unitracker98

98 KDX 220 fork upgrade

Post by unitracker98 »

Hi All,

I have been reading thru the posts to see if it is possible to do a specific fork conversion from a 95 KX 250 to a 1998 KDX 220. I have a line on a KX250 chassis and forks/clamps. Also will the rads transfer from the KX250 to the KDX directly?

Appreciate any help/feedback I can get. :grin:

Thank you
Brad
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 98 KDX 220 fork upgrade

Post by 6 Riders »

I just did a 95 KDX to 97 KX fork conversion. The steering stem pressed strait in on mine, no knurling needed, pressed on the bearings and added the required spacer and it bolted right up. I had bought a triple clamp, for a newer KX, from another forum member here, I bought them for the stem and spacer. The triple clamps that I bought didn't fit the 97 forks and the 97 KX stem doesn't fit the newer triple clamp, it is to small. This makes me ASSUME the the stems are a direct swap, ymmv. You will need the RB designs spacer for the top triple clamp, or make your own. I also suggest using the KX front brake, or at least the brake line, in order to be able to clamp the line down properly....I bought a KX front brake, but just swapping a 95-99 KX brake line should fix this problem as the brake line fro the KX goes UNDER the forks. The 95-99 KX brake line goes up over the caliper (like the KDX) but then loops down under the fork leg. I was going to buy just the brake line, but ended up buying a whole front brake assembly on E-Bay. By doing this ensures that I keep my stock front end complete and usable, possibly for an older KDX that I have.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
unitracker98

Re: 98 KDX 220 fork upgrade

Post by unitracker98 »

Good information, I will have to brush up on the spacer and stem requirements it seems.

Thanks 6 Riders

Brad