Aftermarket Triple Clamp Problems?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
gwhII

Aftermarket Triple Clamp Problems?

Post by gwhII »

Howdy All,

I won a pair of 2001 KX125 USD forks yesterday so I'm on my way now. I'm watching for both stock and aftermarket triple clamps and have been thinking about the BRP clamps because of damper mounting. Has anyone found any aftermarker clamps that did NOT work or had some kind of issue with?

Best,
Greg
'03 KDX200 -Mine
'03 CRF230 - Daughter's
'03 XR100R - Son's
'02 CBR600F4i - Street
'63 Seagrave 531B, '42 Seagrave Aerial
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

The 2001 KX forks are 46mm I believe. My 2002 are 48mm. As long as the clamps are designed for that size fork, it shouldn't matter what brand they are. Just be sure the KDX stem will fit or what ever stem comes with the aftermarket clamps will work. I've been told that KX500 clamps with the stem will fit a KDX just fine. I'd like to prove that someday. Also, once you get the clamp and forks mounted, be sure to test the turning stops and look for the forks stopping before they hit the gas tank.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

All I did to prevent them hitting was hit the tank with my heat gun and moulded the tank in about 3mm so it would clear. I reckon I could have got away without doing it but after a small crash it left a small indentation on the tank, so I did it to be safe. I have an EMIG top clamp and supposedly 03 250 forks (possibly 02's). I could have also safely shaved a few mm of the clamp so it cleared also.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
gwhII

Post by gwhII »

Thanks, Gents.

-G
'03 KDX200 -Mine
'03 CRF230 - Daughter's
'03 XR100R - Son's
'02 CBR600F4i - Street
'63 Seagrave 531B, '42 Seagrave Aerial