KX fork conversion recap?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Re: KX fork conversion recap?

Post by KDXohio »

Goofaroo wrote:What weight oil are you running in your forks? Fluid level? Stock springs?

There are some basic things you could try before you just give up on the stock forks. They are actually a very nice set-up for woods riding.
I agree completely they're awesome in the woods. Im running stock springs Im 140ish lbs 10wt spectro fork oil at 125mm I believe I cant remember exactly ill have to track down my manual I wrote it in there.
Last edited by KDXohio on 11:38 am Nov 30 2016, edited 1 time in total.
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
pacspeed

Post by pacspeed »

Just left my local machine shop empty handed...he said he couldnt get the KDX stem out of the lower triple clamp. Went to 10,000 lbs on the press and it wasnt budging.

Anyone else have that problem? And if so how was it dealt with?

He suggested I just go find a bearing that has the smaller OD/taper of the KDX with the larger ID race of the KX. That sounded too good to be true, but worth some investigation. Anybody tried that route?

Thanks to all!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

pacspeed wrote:Just left my local machine shop empty handed...he said he couldnt get the KDX stem out of the lower triple clamp. Went to 10,000 lbs on the press and it wasnt budging.

Anyone else have that problem? And if so how was it dealt with?
It takes more than 10,000. Heat the clamp with a little home torch / propane burner. The clamp will expand a touch to free it up. Block heat to the bearing and stem.

pacspeed wrote:He suggested I just go find a bearing that has the smaller OD/taper of the KDX with the larger ID race of the KX. That sounded too good to be true, but worth some investigation. Anybody tried that route?

Thanks to all!
No magic bearing, sorry...been discussed a jillion times
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

pacspeed wrote:Just left my local machine shop empty handed...he said he couldnt get the KDX stem out of the lower triple clamp. Went to 10,000 lbs on the press and it wasnt budging.
I'm pretty sure we were well over 20K pressure to get mine to pop out.....seems like a lot, but as long as he doesn't bend it or screw up the threads.....takes some time to get her to go bang......you are all good.
I think it was 12K to get my swing arm bolt out....sheesh.....SOMEONE was lacking in the maintenance department :roll: :shh:
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
pacspeed

Post by pacspeed »

OK, I think I may be on to something (other than possibly a major facepalm).

Which way do they press out?
this way:
or this way:
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Option A.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
pacspeed

Post by pacspeed »

I should have known. FACEPALM!!!! :doh:
jebegayanelo

Post by jebegayanelo »

guys, i'm new in this forum. i just bought a 1995 KX125 and the front forks are leaking and need to be replaced. i would like to replace the forks and the clamp set. any suggestions on what would be good forks to install? are there new forks available? may i know how much? appreciate any replies. you may also email me at jebegayanelo@gmail.com thanks
pacspeed

Post by pacspeed »

:hmm: replace the forks? on a 20 year old 125? They just need a rebuild.
lindastacy

Post by lindastacy »

Well done Ski, Great work.
GREEN MANTIS
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by GREEN MANTIS »

HI,

Is there a list somewhere on what years and models of KX or KXF front ends ( fork-triples 3 -wheel-caliper mount ) will be compatible to Upgrade my 2002 KDX 220 front end ?

I see a lot of 2004 Front end sets (FORKS AND TRIPLES ) on FLEABAY...

Just dont know if those will be compatible to Install them on my 2002 kdx 220r.

Ive read the whole Topic on the Fork swap...the whole Stem press procedure..etc.

Thanks !!
BORN TO RIDE
2002 KDX 220r
2013 KTM 350 SXF Enduro modded racebike
2012 GN 125 Citybike
snowjob

Post by snowjob »

Just got my KDX and it seems I am already on the fork swap path. Stock forks twisted in the trees like a pretzel during my first crash (which I do plenty of). Too bad there aren't more options to just make the trees sturdier.

My plan is to use KLX300 trees and hold out for a cheap set of forks. I will make spacers to use the stock wheel and caliper. I assume most USD forks have the same OD in the trees? Can anyone confirm this?

Edit: seems some are 46mm and some are 48mm. More research needed.
Leisman7

Post by Leisman7 »

Can the conversion be done with the newer kx250f forks, 2010 to current. I have not had any luck tracking down a list of compatible years for the newer forks. I apologize if this has already been answered. Any assistance would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks
ROGERM

Post by ROGERM »

Just took the first step towards a KX500 swap on my US 2002 KDX200. Thanks for the great information resource everyone!
Chuck78
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Chuck78 »

Can anyone share any info on KX500 97-04 (or 125/250 96-97/98(?) ) re-valving for woods riding?
Any valving shim tutorials or videos for this style KYB cartridge? Is it best to use 5 weight oil and re-valve based on that? Or thinner even?

I find endless amounts of info on here about stem and triple swaps, but only mentions of the high and low speed compression stacks needing shim washers removed to adjust the valving.
I contemplated just getting RaceTech Gold Valves for the compression stack, and going off of their custom specs for my setup, but a more DIY solution using the stock cartridges would be preferred, as I dont know that I would be good enough to tell the difference between a KX500 cartridge properly set up, vs a RaceTech setup custom spec'd for me...

Also, I contemplated finding a crashed set of 96-97 KX125 forks just to get the slightly lighter front springs, I believe they are .38kg, & the KX500 are .40kg. The .40 may be better suited for matching the stock rear spring weight, but at 150lbs w/o gear, and being almost happy with the .35kg stock 220 springs (just a bit too soft), I think the .40kg 500 springs may be a bit much.
This is something I can change out later, however. Ill start with proper preload and ample static sag first.

Thanks,

Chuck in Ohio
Last edited by Chuck78 on 09:18 pm Aug 06 2018, edited 1 time in total.
'97 KDX220R - purple/green! - KLX forks, Lectron, FMF, Tubliss
'99 KDX220R project - '98/'01 RM125 suspension, Titanium hardware, Lectron Billetron Pro, Tubliss
'77 Suzuki PE250 & '83 Suzuki PE175 Full Floater - restomod projects
'77 Suzuki GS750-844cc, '77 GS400/489cc & '77 GS550/740cc projects
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Suzuki Samurai TDI/Toyota swaps
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Can you start a new thread with your exact model fork and the measurements of the stock valving? Thanks.

It is going to be done combo of less shims and thinner shims
Guysaki gdx220

Post by Guysaki gdx220 »

Hi guy's, Guysaki GDX220 here. I'm new to this forum fella's so please bare with me. I'm the proud owner of a 1997 KDX220 which I want to do the front fork conversion on. My question is, can I put the front forks off of a 2016 Kawasaki KX250F on my bike . When I get done with the bike I want my suspension to be as up to date as possible? Also does anybody have a suggestion on a rear shock for my 220 I want my suspension to be as plush as possible but to still have a fast rebound for traction, I only weigh 145 pounds soaking wet. Thanks for any help! My bike is currently a bucket of nuts and bolts doing a complete resto. Lectron carb, Wiesco piston and rings, FMF Gnarly, Boyseen, all this money and a really sucky suspension, I just can't see it I want the best and I want to build it not purchase it from KTM. Again Thanks for any feedback!
Chuck78
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Chuck78 »

If you are primarily doing woods riding, in my opinion you could get the best suspension you could possibly need from a mid-90s KX125 43 mm inverted fork after some basic revalving for woods. If you do higher speed riding (45-65+mph) in open areas & fire roads or deserts, as well as woods riding, then the more modern fork technology would really benefit. If you are just doing woods riding, then you would not really notice much difference compared to a well valved 1991-1994 KX 125 fork.
not to mention the KX250 springs will be too stiff for you for woods riding. There's nothing wrong with the stock rear shock, a rebuild, softer spring, and possibly a slight update in valving is all that it would need.
'97 KDX220R - purple/green! - KLX forks, Lectron, FMF, Tubliss
'99 KDX220R project - '98/'01 RM125 suspension, Titanium hardware, Lectron Billetron Pro, Tubliss
'77 Suzuki PE250 & '83 Suzuki PE175 Full Floater - restomod projects
'77 Suzuki GS750-844cc, '77 GS400/489cc & '77 GS550/740cc projects
'62 GMC 1000 Panel Truck
'88 Suzuki Samurai TDI/Toyota swaps
'88 Toyota 4x4 pickup
Guysaki gdx220

Post by Guysaki gdx220 »

Thanks for your opinion and suggestions! I just want my bike to be the best it can be at whatever terrain I'm in at that moment. Guysaki GDX220.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Hopefully this thread had some info others can look on.

It has rambled a good bit, so I am locking it. Thanks.