Thinking about converting my 98 KDX 220

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Comp721

Post by Comp721 »

So I've been doing a lot of reading and I'm thinking about converting my 98 220 forks to something more modern. Can someone tell me what the best forks would be for me? KX or KLX? And 125 or 250? Also, I don't know what year models would be ideal. I weigh about 160 if that makes any difference at all. Thanks in advance for any info!
KDXsg

Re: Thinking about converting my 98 KDX 220

Post by KDXsg »

more modern in term of looks or performance? woods or mx use? drz400E conventional fork are good for trail riding. KX125 2003 to 2005 are good if you are converting to track use. Not worth the time and effort and money involve to turn it to wood use. KLX300r USD is good for trail riding. Many says it is only looks and the same as the current conventional on the H model. But I had used it and felt that it is still a upgrade over the stock. just that no rebound tuning, but a direct bolt on.
A true KDX customizer!!
Comp721

Post by Comp721 »

More modern for both l performance and looks I suppose. I use it as a woods bike. So you're saying the KLX300R is a direct fit?
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

Yes a direct bolt with no modification needed. you can still use back the KDX220 wheel, axle, odometer, brake caliper, front fender. But there no rebound adjuster on the KLX fork. You might need to play around with oil weight and volume. or change to stiffer spring.
You just need to have the fork, triple and fork guard.
Brake line it will be good if you can get the KLX too.
A true KDX customizer!!
KDXsg

Post by KDXsg »

One of the forum member Slick Nick has got a KLX300 USD fork upgrade on his KDX220. Do go and check with him or his post for more clues.
A true KDX customizer!!
Comp721

Post by Comp721 »

Thanks for the replies :grin: I found some KLX 300 forks with triple clamps on ebay so I got them. Anyone got any advice for the install, etc? I have heard that I may have to get a new spring. Also, what about fork covers?
CrashAlonis
Supporting Member

Post by CrashAlonis »

I threw a pair of Rcae Tech 's in mine for my weight and got the fork guards off eBay.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Straight bolt on affair...take the old ones off, bolt the new triples and tubes up and ride. As with any suspension upgrade, you want to get the spring rate for your wieght (both front and rear. Especially since the KDX was poorly balanced from the factory. Look here for some install info http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... &start=140
here for fork guard info http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... ork+guards
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

This will show whats available and take you to their spring calculator
http://racetech.com/VehicleSearch#genre ... &year=2001
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.