RM 45mm Showa Performance

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Thrahl

Re: RM 45mm Showa Performance

Post by Thrahl »

Finally had a chance to ride a little bit today. Unfortunately the trails were completely swamped and I ended up in water more than dry land so I wasn't able to really test out the new setup.
But anyway here are some pics of it after I got it back home and cleaned it up.

I already detailed how I went about doing the main stuff. Overall it was fairly complicated and required a lot of custom work. I wouldn't recommend this to someone who is looking to do a conversion unless you already have all of the RM stuff (like I did). A KX swap is a lot less work for probably pretty similar performance.
I ended up using my stock KDX brake line, master cylinder, and wheel. The RM master cylinder and brake line were fairly shot and really long too. I put the KDX line under the fork but am going to switch it back to a standard KDX style route because the line is a little too tight for my liking.
The RM wheel also had large cracks that I hadn't really noticed but RM wheel bearings fit right in to the KDX wheel so I picked up a set for $7, made a couple wheel spacers and was set.
So really the only thing RM here are the forks, triples, axle, and brake caliper/bracket. Everything else can be brought over from a KDX.
Oh and the fork guards can probably be taken from just about any bike. These are from an '03 KX 250 and fit almost perfect (aside from that side mount in the last picture).

Anyway, I have proper USDs on there now so I have no excuse to be slow anymore. :lol:
If nothing else it looks better :razz:
I hope you all enjoyed this and maybe it will help someone down the road.
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: RM 45mm Showa Performance

Post by Dekon »

Looks good! Glad everything worked out for you.