1990 KDX

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: 1990 KDX

Post by KDXGarage »

I don't know which brake years will fit.

I just try to buy it all from the same year.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Alright so I've been real busy lately haven't had much time to do anything but I finally got everything figure out and conversion done!
Here's some pics....they're prior to putting together the brake

1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Hey, that looks great. Good job on it. It took me a second to realize they were not the stock forks. :partyman:

Would you mind taking and posting a few pictures of the silencer? I'd like to see that.

Thanks.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

By request here's the Answer silencer/spark arrest-or I snapped a couple pics I didn't have time to pull the cover did it on my lunch break (bikes unfortunately not stored at my apartment)

1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

THANK YOU!! I can't remember ever seeing the Answer VFC from those angles. I am a big fan of the old Answer silencers and spark arrestors. I liked all the ads in the mid to late 80's. :boogie:

I got an Answer S/A-Pro for my 1987.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

This is my first answer product it came with the bike when I picked it up. It sounds great not loud at all which I love I'm used to pro-circuit and DG silencers which can be very loud. I do want to know a little more about it. In the end Is a washer/valve that moves in and out I'm interested in what its intended to do is it for sound, flow/back pressure or is it simply for spark arresting? I haven't tried researching yet been wondering for awhile though.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I am not sure what the part is for. Interesting! :hmm:
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Well I finally got to take her out to the trails yesterday with the new front end instead of putting around the house. HUGE improvement I feel like I'm floating through the trails I can run through at a much faster pace comfortably. I put it through everything, mud, rock, tree roots, hills with a mixture of the above and high speed straightaways with very uneven terrain the front tire glided over all of it I never would have been able to run those straights that fast with the old forks I would do this conversion again in a heartbeat! I'm extremely pleased.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks for the report. You sound like several I have heard.

Did you ever try to modify the stock forks any to suit your weight and riding style?
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Jason wrote:Did you ever try to modify the stock forks any to suit your weight and riding style?
The only modification I did was try different weight oils and levels. I did spend less than 150 on the swap, so I'm happy. Also the dual piston caliper has been a nice change too.
Last edited by KDXohio on 01:40 pm Oct 07 2016, edited 1 time in total.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Wow. Thanks again for the information. I am glad it all worked out for you.