03 yz 450 f any 1 done the swap

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

Hi all,

Can get a 03 yz 450f complete front end for reasonable $, does any one have any experience with that conversion?

Thanks in advance

Alan
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: 03 yz 450 f any 1 done the swap

Post by diymirage »

nope, but i would imagine your biggest obstacle would be location
i installed a KX front end on mine and i had Ron Black swap the stems and provide the spacer which made it easy as pie

im pretty sure he doesnt ship outside of the US so i dont think you can rely on him to do the machine work needed
on top of that, i dont know what is involved in swapping stems to a YZ

on the bright side, if you have the complete front end you dont need any work on the front axle
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

Here is what I found out from my DRZ fork swap using a YZ450F wheel:

The YZF wheel and forks use a larger diameter axle than the KDX. Not likely that a KDX wheel will work, unless you source wheel bearings and seals with a larger center, and a center spacer.

I expect that the KDX caliper mount will bolt right on. The DRZ and KDX use the same mount, and I think the YZF is the same also. You may need a different brake master cylinder to fit the fat bars that are standard on the YZF, unless you find spacers to mount a 7/8 bar on the triple clamps.

I didn't have YZF triples, so don't know about swapping the stem on those.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

Thanks for the input, anyone have any thoughts on the Forks?
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

You can be the first!

Swaps are not difficult, but it takes time to sort out the details and source parts and machine work. The biggest thing is if the KDX stem fits the new triple clamp.

Unless you are a big guy like me, the stock springs will probably be too stiff. Most YZ forks are pretty good, but I don't like the 04-05 YZ and 04-12 WR forks. The WR guys are swapping to the late model SSS forks which are supposed to be much better.

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

Im looking at a 03 yz roller. Guy has bike at friends house got to see pics and I will have the whole setup for swap if I decide to buy. Not sure if the kdx stem will swap and thats what Im gonna check when guy is back in town.

Why dont you like the 04-05 yz forks GSA?
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

I have a WR450F with that model 48mm Kayaba and that were revalved by a quality tuner. They are initially plush but deflect badly over rocks and roots, and have put me on the ground and in the hospital... They are much better MX forks. I have followed several people on another forum that tried to sort them out, but there is not a "gold-valve" solution. They finally gave up and switched to the new SSS forks and were very pleased.

Maybe it is the hospital part or my lack of riding technique, but I think there are lots of better options.

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

Ok I see. Thank you.
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

ICRage42, how did you go with checking the stem for fit?
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

unfortunately my friend had called his buddy to pull bike from corner to get ready to show and take some more pics for me. I was supposed to go there the next day or so was waiting for guy to let me know a time because his schedule was busy.

Since his schedule was busy he also forgot to tell his wifey or girlfriend that bike was pulled out toward her parking spot.

One minivan later and bike was crushed between van and wall and I guess support beam or post from the description. Nonetheless the forks were fubared bad and never looked at them. (almost hr away). Sad thing is I still wanted to see about the stem as well. Apparently she had more errands to run and bike had stuck into rear hatch with handlebars. So it probably could of been salvaged then but she couldnt pull it out and off so she decided to drive it off and then back up only to run up onto the bike and popped the rear tire. So my friend and his buddy are now arguing over the "stored" bike. Good amount of dollars lost in bike and van.

My bud did say he was tired of having bike there and hes still in college. Told me he might just give me the bike now. So if he calls me I might go pick it up and hope for the best. Ill have to let you know then. Figured even if bike is no good damage wise I still have all the info there in front of me for what is needed to possibly do the swap for cost of gas.
BigAl

Post by BigAl »

Let me know if you do, I am close to pulling the trigger on a roller here in Australia, I suppose I can always get a Stem machined to fit.
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

Just as a follow up, I switched back to the WR from the KDX for the last race, and I needed the HP for the big hills. The DRZ forks on my KDX are definitely better (more plush and very predictable) than the inverted 48mm Kayabas, but I need to work on Bike setup. The KDX rides front-high and feels unbalanced in the whooped out stuff. And I need a taller seat and tall bars for the KDX.

But the kayabas worked ok, and maybe were better on the big hits. Like I said before, moto forks.

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250