Wanting to do a fork convertion on a 94 (USD) KDX.

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Wanting to do a fork convertion on a 94 (USD) KDX.

Post by 6 Riders »

Anyone done this? As the fork set up is different on the 93 and 94 model years, is there anything that I need to do different to get KX forks mounted?
So far I have; '97 250 Forks, trees, 2001 KDX caliper, KX axle. I still need a wheel (or hub) and the "adapter" for the upper tree to fit my head tube. I have a friend with the press I need to swap out the stem (if needed). What else do I need to complete this conversion.

Oh yeah, my brake line (on the 94) runs under the caliper and is designed for the USD forks, I think this brake line will work....anyone know any different?

Thanks,
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Wanting to do a fork convertion on a 94 (USD) KDX.

Post by KDXGarage »

The outer diameters of the stems are different, so it won't be as simple as just swapping the stems.

Why not just get a complete 1997 KX front brake system??
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

The stem is the stem that mounts to the triple tree, I am not just swapping forks but the whole front end. I believe that the KDX stem will press into the lower tree but needs the "adapter" for the top tree. The KDX brakes are "beefier" so I'm going to use those as they mount right up, just need to figure out the brake line (the 2001 KDX brake line is NOT long enough from what I can tell).
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

That particular stem is listed as requiring knurling in the sticky above. No big deal, but you'll probably need to do some knurling to get a decent press fit. I was able to use a 94 kdx brake line when I did my conversion. Worked out just fine.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

6 Riders wrote:... I believe that the KDX stem will press into the lower tree...
It will drop right in and make a loose, rattly CLINK.

Read up on knurling.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

I was looking at the knurling thread and the 93-94 MY's are NOT listed as needing knurling (doesn't mean they don't need it). I am doing this conversion at a machine shop, so any machining work that needs to be done, will be....Might even come up with "other" ideas for the swap.

This is why my questions are for someone that HAS DONE the fork conversion on a 93-94 (model year specific) KDX.

Thanks,
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

6 Riders wrote:I was looking at the knurling thread and the 93-94 MY's are NOT listed as needing knurling (doesn't mean they don't need it). I am doing this conversion at a machine shop, so any machining work that needs to be done, will be....Might even come up with "other" ideas for the swap.

This is why my questions are for someone that HAS DONE the fork conversion on a 93-94 (model year specific) KDX.

Thanks,
to be honest I have read the knurling thread, and on a conversion I have recently done someone before said it DID not need knurling, where as I had to get the stem knurled so I could press it in correctly! (just dropped in before knurling!) no big deal.

you will be able to use your kdx caliper, as it uses the same hanger as the 97 kx, and same disc size, so should be fine.
as for a brake line if you cant use the one you have get a hel or similar to suit the 97 kx.
best regards
john
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Not sure I understand why you want to upgrade to a KX from the KDX USDs. Properly sprung and valved they are every bit as capable as the KX forks (I actually like the feel of my Dad's 93 forks over the 99 KX ones on my hybrid in the woods).
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

6 Riders wrote:I was looking at the knurling thread and the 93-94 MY's are NOT listed as needing knurling (doesn't mean they don't need it). I am doing this conversion at a machine shop, so any machining work that needs to be done, will be....Might even come up with "other" ideas for the swap.

Thanks,
93/94 doesn't matter. From 89 up you're talking about the same steering head bearings and the same steering stem. I did a swap for YZ forks on my 89, but it had a 94 USD front end on it when I originally purchased it. Anyway, the point is, the year of the front end you are planning to install is what is relevant here. The year of your KDX doesn't matter, since the parts in question are the same from 89 on.