So whats the best conversion?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
ICRage42
Supporting Member

So whats the best conversion?

Post by ICRage42 »

Ive read through almost all of the topics. I would really like to do a front fork swap and considering honda cr forks. I was just curious as to what would be a all around best option. I understand the klx is direct swap. However I have very little knowledge as to what is best. Sorry been out of the riding loop for a while and well forks changed alot. Modification wouldnt be a problem.

I seen the topic on the cr fork conversion but it went stale lol. I always liked the honda suspension. I also seen a roller yz 250 for sale local here for 250. Anyone consider yz front end?

Out of all the topics there doesnt seem to be a supreme setup. I thought about just doing a klx 300 fork job and be done with it.

Thanks in advance.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
stomlinson

Re: So whats the best conversion?

Post by stomlinson »

i just rode a klx 300 today and the front felt weak!!! i did a 2003 kx 250 swap and had rd designs do the triple clamps and they bolted right on and they rock!!!
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

Whatever is cheapest on ebay of course haha. Really, just sit there and watch. You can pic up a pair of 46mm kyb's of a kx/yz for under a $100, and that's plenty of fork for the kdx. If you have $200-$300 some later model 48mm SSS forks if look for them, which would be the sh!t. 49mm showa's are a great option(96-98 rm125/250) DRZ400.
diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by diymirage »

dont forget ease of the conversion

it may pay off to get yourself a complete front end, wheel and everything and yer set
(provided you dont care about the trip meter)
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

factoryX wrote:Whatever is cheapest on ebay of course haha. Really, just sit there and watch. You can pic up a pair of 46mm kyb's of a kx/yz for under a $100,
But for under $100 you will probably still need to find triples, wheel, axle, ect.
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

Honda CRX250 forks and the newer SSS forks on the Yamaha YZs have a stellar reputation. Yes, a YZ 250 front end would be a good unit.

I have the 49mm conventionals off a DRZ and am very happy, but I didn't drink the Inverted-fork-is-better Kool-aid. My opinion is quite the opposite for off-road. Anyway, my swap was pretty easy.

With common Kawasaki swaps, you have a greater potential of reusing parts and probably more build info on here. But I can't speak for which model provides better performance. Almost anything would be better than stock.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250