95 KX forks in 95 KDX 200

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Even if they have the same internals as the KDX forks you will at least be loosing the underhang. That's a plus. Do those forks have compression and rebound adjustments?
robertotjr

Post by robertotjr »

Julien D wrote:They will be a considerable improvement, provided they are in proper condition.
Good to know. They are in good condition I'm just bummed they are not what the seller made me believe they were.
rbates9 wrote:Even if they have the same internals as the KDX forks you will at least be loosing the underhang. That's a plus. Do those forks have compression and rebound adjustments?
They have the adjustments and they are working. It's good to know that at least I did not waste money on them.

Thanks for the help guys. :grin:
1995 KDX 200
robertotjr

Post by robertotjr »

a little off the subject here is a linkage arm I made since my stock broke.

Moving on, I got the front end assembled today. It`s looking good, but I`m having some trouble with the brake caliper. Gonna have to postpone the test drive until next weekend.
The spacer in bottom clamp
Spacer in the axle. In this photo it is mounted in the wrong side of the hub. I actually had to put it in the other side to center the wheel in the forks.
1995 KDX 200
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Looks like you will need to build up those steering stops before your done.
robertotjr

Post by robertotjr »

rbates9 wrote:Looks like you will need to build up those steering stops before your done.
Yes I do. I was thinking about adding a little steel square spacer under the stop in the frame, drill the stop and add a little bolt to hold it together.

I just got the fork guards and some stickers to go with them. I'll need to work on them to add a holder to keep the brake line in position.

Probably tomorrow I'll put it all together an take new pictures.
1995 KDX 200
robertotjr

Post by robertotjr »

It`s done!! The bike is up and running. Tomorrow I`m gonna hit the trails and see how everything goes!

1995 KDX 200
robertotjr

Re: 95 KX forks in 95 KDX 200

Post by robertotjr »

Went for a test-drive today and this thing rocks!! Much more traction on the front, no slips and better feeling all around!

I get a lot more feedback from the front wheel and much less vibrations when going through big rocks or loose gravel conditions.

Anyone that is still doubtful about conversion, I can say that I was a skeptic, and now I`m thinking why I didn`t do this earlier.
1995 KDX 200
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

What was your final set up for the front wheel? Swap out a KX wheel, machine the axle?
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
robertotjr

Post by robertotjr »

6 Riders wrote:What was your final set up for the front wheel? Swap out a KX wheel, machine the axle?
I used the KDX wheel, hub and axle. I found that these were 1993 KX 500 forks. The only mods that were necessary were: a new spacer, (pictured in this thread) that I used in tandem with the KDX spacer on the break side of the hub (Can upload a picture later if you want); and a round nut that I machined to fit the forks, since in the KDX the axle screwed into the forks and in the KX it is bolted in the forks.

If none of that made sense I`ll upload some pictures in the weekend and clear everything out.
1995 KDX 200