Honda Cr 250 forks?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Shonuff

Honda Cr 250 forks?

Post by Shonuff »

My friend has a 99 Honda cr 250 with a bad engine and is parting out the rest of the bike. I can grab some parts from him, dirt cheap, for my planned suspension upgrade. I'm having trouble locating information if this will work. I've stumbled upon this post.

KDX fork conversion using Honda CR forks and KX triple tree
http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=2557

Can I use the triple tree, brakes and wheel?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Honda Cr 250 forks?

Post by rbates9 »

It looks like the post you listed will have the info you need to get the job done. But as far as using the CR triples it will be trial and error. If you end up needing a KX triple Scotts has a lower on clearance for $50. http://www.scottsperformance.com/groupi ... &Groups=25 . If you can get the forks and all the required parts cheap enough then anything can be made to work.
Shonuff

Re: Honda Cr 250 forks?

Post by Shonuff »

Thank you for the reply. I'm gonna strip the Honda of its front end suspension this week and see what works and doesn't work with my 89 that's just laying around. I'll update this thread when I get into it.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

I think those are twin chamber showas, which could be an excellent choice!
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Honda Cr 250 forks?

Post by ICRage42 »

any updates ? Kinda want to go this route myself possibly.
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
Tyl3r
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Tyl3r »

I found a CR 250 front end on C-list for a good price... wanted to know what the verdict was for using Honda forks? I don't know what to do about stem and clamps? Can I use my kdx stem with the CR clamps (press right in place of the honda stem on the honda clamps? knurl the kdx stem to be pressed into honda clamps?)? I can figure everything else out as I go, I just want to know what I'd have to do about the frame/stem/clamps connection.
04/05 KX220 Hybrid all decked out
18 KTM 500 EXC-F Dual Sport/Sumo toy
24 KTM 300XC-W Cheater bike
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

Not every swap has been done, so it may be up to you to find out what works. Instead of knurling mine, I used a retaining compound from permatex for the .015" clearance.

What year? The conventionals on the 87 cr250 are considered to be some of the best off-road forks ever. The current CRF250X (USD) units are very good. Most MX forks require revalving for off road, and not all are good even after that is done. I really like my DRZ forks (conv). My WR450 forks (usd) are really sketchy at times.

IMO, USD does not always equal better.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
Goofaroo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goofaroo »

What year? The conventionals on the 87 cr250 are considered to be some of the best off-road forks ever. The current CRF250X (USD) units are very good. Most MX forks require revalving for off road, and not all are good even after that is done. I really like my DRZ forks (conv). My WR450 forks (usd) are really sketchy at times.

IMO, USD does not always equal better.
I agree completely. I found a nice 88 model CR250 for sale locally that would make a killer woods bike with a few mods but I can't figure out a solution for wider ratio gearing.

There are probably some out there that are set up fairly nice but I have never ridden a bike with an USD fork that felt right to me. After spending a lot of time and money on the forks on my KTM300EXC I finally gave up and sold the bike. My XR350 and KDX200 make me feel right at home and I can ride longer without fatigue than I can with the USD forks. Even softly sprung and lightly dampened the USDs just feel harsh because of the extra rigidity. I'm not fond of aluminum frames either.