KXF/RMZ Forks?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
gwhII

KXF/RMZ Forks?

Post by gwhII »

Howdy,

Has anyone thought about using KXF/RMZ parts? I found this on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... Track=true and have sent an email to clarify whether those were stockers taken off of the RMZ or a supermoto fork. I have done a search on buykawasaki and all 2005 KXs have the same lower fork holder p/n (they don't offer the stem separately) but are different than the previous years. Do you think that it would work?

Best,
Greg
'03 KDX200 -Mine
'03 CRF230 - Daughter's
'03 XR100R - Son's
'02 CBR600F4i - Street
'63 Seagrave 531B, '42 Seagrave Aerial
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Greg - I don't know why those wouldn't work, provided you got the correct triple clamp etc. to bolt it all together.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I looked on buykawasaki, and the bottom bearing is the exact same part number as a 1995 and newer KDX. I saw a new 2005 RM-Z250 at a dealer, and it had the "Made in Japan by KHI, Ltd." label on it, so maybe the forks are the same.

I would check and make sure recent KX wheel, brake, etc. parts would match up. If you have to go with a KXF/RMZ specific wheel, brakes, etc., you may have trouble finding such very recent parts.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Those look really nice and I'm sure they could be made to work. Just do your research before jumping! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Get the parts at a good price. Then, if they don't work, just relist them and sell them again. You might loose a little bit of money, but my bet is that, with the help found on this board, if there is a way they will work and be useful, the guys here will help you find that way.

There's a good chance that they would be even better suited than the KX forks; valving, spring weights, etc.

Good Luck!!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
gwhII

Post by gwhII »

Thanks for all the replies, guys! The owner sent me an email that they are stock so I may be on my way. Anybody interested in an SRC KDX fork brace that's never been used? :-)

Jason: thanks for checking the bearing - didn't think about that!

-G
'03 KDX200 -Mine
'03 CRF230 - Daughter's
'03 XR100R - Son's
'02 CBR600F4i - Street
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

First, let me say that I won't be a buyer, but I would like to see the brace. Do you have a picture, or pictures of it?
gwhII

Post by gwhII »

Jason,

here's a quick link from src. I can provide more detailed pictures if you'd like too.

https://secure.srcinc.net/prodpage.cfm? ... StartRow=1

The brace itself is nicely machined and I still may try it because piecing together a USD front end will take awhile. (I haven't even bid on the forks yet.) I'm not crazy about the fork guards and would rather try an RMX number plate or just run fork skins.

-G
'03 KDX200 -Mine
'03 CRF230 - Daughter's
'03 XR100R - Son's
'02 CBR600F4i - Street
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Is that a KDX in the picture?? When you say you are not crazy about the fork guards, do you mean the fork guards it says comes with the brace, or do you mean the guards that would be used on the RM-Z forks? Did you have a typo and put RMX on accident or on purpose? I am not sure if you meant to say RMX like the '89 - '98 RMX or not.

Thanks.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I think he means he's not crazy about the stock KDX boots. I said I think. :wink:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
gwhII

Post by gwhII »

It sounded alright in my head... :-) I need to do some 'splainin... :-)

KD is close... I'm not sure if it is a KDX in the pics but the design is the same for the fork brace, wipers, and guards for the KDX. You can't use the stock bellows from a KDX because they won't compress enough and can force the fork brace into the wheel/tire with the suspension under full compression (SRC's warning) which would be a BAD THING. Their solution is to use fork skins to protect the seals and supply black fork guards (they're white in the picture) to protect the explosed tubes. The guard mounting method is Mickey Mouse to me (the top is zipty'd above/on the lower triple clamp). I heard mention of an RMX number plate that had integrated hard fork guards, because the RMX was conventionally forked, and that looked like a much cleaner solution. My other gripe was routing the brake line around or through the bottom guard guide, especially since I also run my Trailtech speedo cable with it. I'm worried about chafing, straining, or crimping the lines. If I do try the brace, I'm going to run long fork skins and no guards. I figure the neoprene rubber of the fork skins should protect just about as well as the bellows.

-G
'03 KDX200 -Mine
'03 CRF230 - Daughter's
'03 XR100R - Son's
'02 CBR600F4i - Street
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks for the explanation. I have read about some mid '90's RM's having the integrated numberplate/fork guards. I have not seen the RMX part.
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

In regaurds to the fork brace. I have a couple of pics of my fathers xr400 with a fork brace on it in my gallery. I believe its pretty much the same as the one for the kdx(I havn't measured it or anything though).
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Thanks. I will check it out!

EDIT: Wow! That is pretty close to the tire. I hope no one ever rides with one of those in some moist red clay. That stuff packs on the tires and would hit the brace, from the looks of it.
gwhII

Post by gwhII »

Yep, it is close. I've had mine mounted before and there's not a whole lot of room, hence the warning about the boots. It's milled with a slight edge so it'll "chop" off any excess getting close to it.

EDIT:
Motorider: Is it worth mounting the fork guards? Has your dad seen it help? Mounting them just feels so flimsy. That's one of hte reasons I took the brace back off. Thanks.

-G
'03 KDX200 -Mine
'03 CRF230 - Daughter's
'03 XR100R - Son's
'02 CBR600F4i - Street
motorider200

Post by motorider200 »

He's never had any problems that I'm aware of with the gaurds. To me they seem like they would have about the same effect as the platic gaurds on inverted forks.
Last edited by motorider200 on 06:35 pm Sep 14 2005, edited 1 time in total.
97 KDX200(225)- mine
01 KDX220- brothers
97 XR400- dads
gwhII

Post by gwhII »

Thanks Motorider, I'll try the brace again. Even if I do manage to win the forks, it'll still take me awhile to amass all the parts to do the conversion.

-G
'03 KDX200 -Mine
'03 CRF230 - Daughter's
'03 XR100R - Son's
'02 CBR600F4i - Street