I'm completely confused.

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
el caballo loco
Supporting Member

I'm completely confused.

Post by el caballo loco »

I feel like this is a douche move but I've read through the threads concerning fork conversions and I think it just made things worse.

I have a '97 KDX220.

I have a line on a complete front end, minus wheel off of a 2000 KX250 for a good price. This includes

Forks
Entire front brake system
Handlebars, fat bars
Triples, upper and lower
Stem

What would I have to do to swap in on to the KDX?
I have to find a KX front wheel, correct?
Are there any downsides to this?
Are there any questions I should be asking other than the ones already asked?
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

I'm completely confused.

Post by rbates9 »

1. You need to read the fork conversion forum. :mrgreen:
2. You can get a KX wheel or you can get ahold of RB and get his axle mod done and reuse your KDX wheel.
3. You will need to swap the stem from the KDX to the KX triple. When the stem is swapped the bearing will not sit flush to the lower triple clamp unless the stem diameter is reduced at the lower portion.
4. Brakes are up to you. You can reuse your KDX brakes or use the KX brakes. Not a big difference either way.
5. It would be in your best interest to service the forks before installing them. Change oil, seals.
6. Reassemble as needed. When you reassemble you will see a gap at the upper triple clamp that will need to be addressed. RB again makes a spacer that will fix that issue nicely.

If you have access to the press then this isn't a big deal. If you don't RB would be able to do the swapping for you and send back the spacer with the other parts. And if you go with the axle mod to use your KDX wheel then he could do that as well.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: I'm completely confused.

Post by bufftester »

Another option to consider if you're not in a hurry, and prefer a straight bolt-on affair is using a KLX300R front end ( http://kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... &start=140). Then you keep your KDX wheel, brakes and tripmeter, and no stem swapping/shims required.