Rear Suspension Help Needed!

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
KDXnoob1

Rear Suspension Help Needed!

Post by KDXnoob1 »

Hello all, I know this is the fork section but it was the closest to suspension compared to the other catagories.
So here's my problem;
I'm currently rebuilding a 1986 KDX 200, at the point where I'm replacing the head seal in the shock.
I've taken the shock apart, spring off, resevoir off, and am just left with the shock body + Shaft.
I've pushed the seal down and removed the 2 circlips (It was horribly siezed and not cared for and took a hammer to move the seal).
Now after removing the 2 circlips from the top the shaft wont come out, it seems like its stuck.
The shaft moves freely up and down, however, when it reaches the top it feels like its blocked and will not come out.
What should I do?
Is it siezed and just needs some persuasion or am I missing some steps?
Thanks! :)
KDXnoob1

Re: Rear Suspension Help Needed!

Post by KDXnoob1 »

Nevermind, I got the shaft out with some encouragement from a hammer, carefully though.

However, when it comes to recharging with oil, do I take the resevoir apart? It seems pretty soild and like 1 piece to me, does anyone know the procedure for recharging this bike with oil? or do I just fill the shock body and recharge the resevoir with nitrogen?
Thanks!
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Rear Suspension Help Needed!

Post by canamfan »

If you don't have the manual get on youtube and type in shock rebuild. There are numerous videos of how to fill your shock with oil and recharge with nitrogen.