Which steering stabilizer?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
tommyd
Supporting Member

Post by tommyd »

I just pulled the trigger on a complete 2001 KX500 front end for my 95 KDX.

While looking at Scott's website I noticed they both use different stabilizer setups. Does anyone know what would work best with this swap?
It doesn't have to be a Scott's either if something else is known to work better.

I am also using the Clarke 3.6 gallon tank and I really don't want to use anything smaller so hopefully everything will clear?
Fletch

Re: Which steering stabilizer?

Post by Fletch »

I have heard good things about the WER stuff too. I may have a line on a wer for a kdx H-series like yours. I have a scott on my ktm and it's saved my ass a few times. I can't believe the difference, it really is a safety thing.
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
tommyd
Supporting Member

Post by tommyd »

I forgot about that company... just might be a solution. I'm not sure how/if the stock headlight will work with the KX forks. Once I figure that out I will try to guess how/if this will work. I eventually want to go with the 8" BH headlight so I have a lot to figure out!
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

Here's my Scott's on '01 KX 250 forks. I got the Scott's upper triple clamp and the damper used from a KX 250. I had to purchase the KDX bolt on tower separately. The KX tower was too short.
Strongly recommend this upgrade. Works great :supz:

Live to Fly
Fly to Live
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

The one thing I don't like about the Scott's is that you can't have a bar pad. The wer's are mounted up front so you can still have a pad.
Wibby's got one.
I have the scott.
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Fletch wrote:The one thing I don't like about the Scott's is that you can't have a bar pad. The wer's are mounted up front so you can still have a pad.
Wibby's got one.
I have the scott.
Bar pads are nice but with a full face helmet and a chest protector what do they really do other then promote the bar manufacture? :hmm: ( Just stirring the pot.)
tommyd
Supporting Member

Post by tommyd »

Thanks for the replies.

The Scott's set up looks good! I think it would be easier to swap between my bikes also.

I have some desert racing friends who swear by the WER design.

I think it will come down to what I can get a good deal on...
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

Found mine on eBay from a motorcycle salvage place. Bought for less than half of retail. I too thought I needed a bar pad, but after riding a few minutes with it I forgot all about it.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

I bought a used WER for $50 sent it in for rebuild $120. They updated it also. I cant tell a lot of difference, just started riding harescrambles this year. I did fall down to many times to count riding in some rocky terrain before i got the damper. I haven't fell much since I got it. So maybe it does help or maybe i'm getting better at riding.