Bearing not fully on?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
carts69
Supporting Member

Bearing not fully on?

Post by carts69 »

Hi all, got my KDX KX fork conversion underway, had KDX stem pressed onto KX lower clamp, driven a new bearing onto the stem! my problem is that the bearing has not fully seated onto the lower clamp! I have hammered it on as far as it will go. What i would like to know is.. will this be ok & not affect steering/safety etc,or do i need to remove bearing & stard again using another method?
For reference, the bearing is not visible from below, it has seated up into the lower cup, all that is visable is a little of the dust seal!
I have roughly assembled the steering back together & it feels smooth, the steering stop is also catching ok on the stops on the clamp.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Bearing not fully on?

Post by rbates9 »

The lower clamp on a KDX is thicker then the KX. Because of this the raised area of the stem that is pressed into the lower clamp will stick out past the upper edge of the lower clamp. The diameter of the stem that is pressed into the clamp is slightly larger then the area that the bearing is pressed onto. If you didn't turn down the stem a little in the clamp section then the bearing will go down until it hits the larger section but will not be flush with the clamp.

I think there has been some of the older fork swaps that the people left it that way and seemed to have good results. Do a search or read a few of the older topics and you will find out for your self.

I would probably want to have the bearing against the clamp just so nothing could move but between the clamps on the forks, the stem and the bearings it is pretty unlikely anything would move.
carts69
Supporting Member

Re: Bearing not fully on?

Post by carts69 »

Ok, Thanks for the reply. If i have to pull it off again i will but if this is not classed as dangerous i will leave things as they are! thanks again!