Fork guard redeaux

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Fork guard redeaux

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: CR (OEM KDX) style brakeline routing on KX forks.

Ski has fabricated his own brakeline holder. Yep. It looks great! He has carbon fiber guards. The strength of those are helpful in using the guards without the guides, which will likely have to come off with the 'inside' style of line routing.

But...take a look at the new Yamahas. They have inside line routing (I bought a Yamaha clamp to use on my bike) and they keep the guide action by using a slotted device on the inside of the guard.

So...it's out of the way of the brakeline.

I haven't pursued this to the extent of knowing that a Yamaha guard will/won't fit on the KX forks. They're white anyway..and my choice is black. Haven't checked aftermarket guards for Yams either.

Something to keep in mind for the KX fork crowd.

Cheers!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I could understand this a whole lot better with some pics? :lol:

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Here's what I'm gonna try. I used half the standard bracket. I still have to grind the nuts to about half that thivkness but I think it may work. I'll update once I fit them.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

..but you'll still need to lose the guide on the LH side.

Never mind...just looked at all the red car pics in your 'KX fork album' to find you don't have the guides on anyway. :wink:

With the line clamped TO the guard you might have interference with the upper brakeline guides. The Yam clamp is spaced away from the guard for that very reason.

Looks good, though!

Consider the source

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Do you mean under full compression of the forks ?? My top guide is the only one I have. I will have to look at the clearance. Thanks for the compliment and ecspecially(sp?) for pointing out the interference possibility. :partyman:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Theres also a loop that comes off the back of the number plate as a guide.

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

It's likely a non-issue..but that's what I do best...wonder about all sorts of things that don't matter! It keeps me from getting anything done!!

Thanks for knowing the difference between compliment and complement. :wink:

Well...some assumin' goin' on there........

Here's another wonderment...when you grind off those nuts, I assume that will be with them attached to the guard. Won't the heat mess up the plastic of the guard?

Maybe a good reason to get summ'a them carbon fibre fancies!

Now then...about 'exspeshully'......

Consider the source

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

canyncarvr wrote:Here's another wonderment...when you grind off those nuts, I assume that will be with them attached to the guard. Won't the heat mess up the plastic of the guard?

Maybe a good reason to get summ'a them carbon fibre fancies!
Now c'mon CC I'm not as silly as I may look. :razz: :wink: The bolts were originally 2". I had to cut them to the length shown in the photo. I will indeed take them off the plastic guard and I will put them back in my vise for further grinding. :mrgreen: A speshall thanks for the heads up anyway. :partyman:

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I was JUST wondering, is all! :rolleyes:

The backside of the guard looks shiny..I wondered if you had already stuck them on/in with something glue-like in function.

Maybe I'M the one that's as silly as you look.

...wait a minute...did that come out right? :shock:

Wait 'til you get a gander at MY brakeline gitup...you'll wonder how long I been outt'a the home!! It won't be anywhere's near as neat and clean as yours & ski's! Gar-un-teed!

Consider the source

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I see what you mean now. but Nah thats just the way the photo looks. No glue. I am going to put a dot of sealant on the nuts once they are ground thinner to stop them from un-doing. Fingers crossed. The way I've done mine required 2 x bolts, 2 x matching nuts, the unthreaded side of the stock brake clamp and 2 holes drilled in the guard. It was very simple. Whether it works or not is still yet to be seen. Oh and YOUR setup can't be any worse than MY zip tie method. LOL.

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I HAD zip ties on...took 'em off before I rolled it out the door...due to my exceeding embarrassment at such a dodgy setup! :wink:

Consider the source

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Whats the saying ?!? Great minds think alike ?!? Who cares if its a dodgy idea weve still got great minds. :wink: Embarrassment ?? You ride a girls bike anyway fer christs sake !! :lol: Oh wait I do too. :oops: