Fork oil question?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
carts69
Supporting Member

Re: Fork oil question?

Post by carts69 »

Swinging arm bearings now removed! Only took the whole day :hmm: Read they can be difficult.... understatement!!
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

carts69 wrote:Swinging arm bearings now removed! Only took the whole day :hmm: Read they can be difficult.... understatement!!
they can be a pig! but a lump hammer and a good fitting socket makes light work of them! :grin:
glad to see it is all coming together bud.
best regards
john
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

Yeah bit by bit john, yeah i wacked that socket so hard,so many times its now slightly mashed up, good quality sockets too :lol: , still never mind, well worth it! Oh and i smacked me thumb joint pretty hard too, now that aint no joke :naughty:
Best buy a new set now, Anyway mate... any update on yours or are things still not good your end?
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

carts69 wrote:Yeah bit by bit john, yeah i wacked that socket so hard,so many times its now slightly mashed up, good quality sockets too :lol: , still never mind, well worth it! Oh and i smacked me thumb joint pretty hard too, now that aint no joke :naughty:
Best buy a new set now, Anyway mate... any update on yours or are things still not good your end?
i can picture you with a big bandage on your thumb! :lol:

gotta hit it in the next week or 2,should be able to get some tyres ordered this week,hopefully not to far away,just up to my neck in it at the mo bud!

get some pics up! :grin:

how much did you maier rear fender nail you in the end all in?

best regards
john
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

Ha ha ha.. Yeah bandage, nah it's not true what they say about us down south, we don't do bandages! just a bag of peas :rolleyes: Regarding pics.. the process is so slow that nothing has really changed, i have a frame (now painted) sat ontop a workmate :lol: & all my fixtures & fittings on the shed floor! but just as soon as things start happening i will get the camera & take a few on the rebuild stage.
The Maier cost me around ? wait for it........................................ £80 ish, :doh: OUCH. Somewhere around that price, cant locate the customs fee at the moment, Fender was over priced before being sent let alone custom fees etc! I think it will look good though when attached (March 2015) :lol:
Got it from ebay.
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

carts69 wrote:Ha ha ha.. Yeah bandage, nah it's not true what they say about us down south, we don't do bandages! just a bag of peas :rolleyes: Regarding pics.. the process is so slow that nothing has really changed, i have a frame (now painted) sat ontop a workmate :lol: & all my fixtures & fittings on the shed floor! but just as soon as things start happening i will get the camera & take a few on the rebuild stage.
The Maier cost me around ? wait for it........................................ £80 ish, :doh: OUCH. Somewhere around that price, cant locate the customs fee at the moment, Fender was over priced before being sent let alone custom fees etc! I think it will look good though when attached (March 2015) :lol:
Got it from ebay.
£80 :blink:
i can see why though,they are around $71 to start with,then most usa companies charge you over that for shipping,then you get hit with customs charges!

i read that off road only have 2 shipments a year from maier,i may contact them,as i think that will be the cheapest option by far!

got my supermoto tyres now,maxxis presa. 160 rear! :shock: im sure my measurements are correct and it will fit........just! :lol:
best regards
john
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

Yeah i would'nt do it a second time, totally mad for a fender but it's history now! well it will be when i flip the bike & snap it :naughty: Maxxis... that's the tyres i have been looking at to dress my rims once i've had em anodized! seem good tyres & price. 160 rear.. :supz: go for it john!!
Thats gonna make the KDX feel soooooo much different, kind of smoooooth :lol: You aint never gonna want them other wheels/tyres back on after road riding with those bad boys on, another off roader bites the dust :lol:
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

carts69 wrote:Yeah i would'nt do it a second time, totally mad for a fender but it's history now! well it will be when i flip the bike & snap it :naughty: Maxxis... that's the tyres i have been looking at to dress my rims once i've had em anodized! seem good tyres & price. 160 rear.. :supz: go for it john!!
Thats gonna make the KDX feel soooooo much different, kind of smoooooth :lol: You aint never gonna want them other wheels/tyres back on after road riding with those bad boys on, another off roader bites the dust :lol:
nah mate i am an off roader at heart,i still have to pass my test and register the bike before i can use it on the road!
so it is going to be a while yet :grin:

although it is so much harder to find places to ride off road these days compared to when i was a teen!
best regards
john
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

Teen days :supz: yeah now that brings back memories, no fears no cares ragging crossers around the roads, no helmet half the time... total insane when i look back!! hope you did'nt act like that John :naughty:
Quick update on mine... front rim has gone off to SFX wheels, having it anodized black, he is powder coating the hub in his ninja green & rebuilding with new s/s spokes. on a bit of a budget so have to have one done at a time :lol:
John...Get that test done as soon as things warm up a little, glad mine is done & out the way, CBT was a laugh! riding with girls :shock:
ukkdx200

Fork oil question?

Post by ukkdx200 »

just found this thread! good to see theres more support than I first thought for the good old kdx over here! looking forward to seeing the finished polished swingarm! I had thought about doing that but then I remebered im lazy and rubbish so forgot about it!
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

Yeah... shame most of the decent parts have to be purchased from overseas :rolleyes: The swinging arm looks pretty good but i have stopped being to fussy with it now! it looks better than it did with the dull paint on it, got some FX stickers on it, also had to chop one in half due to the stand mounting point :doh: but then thats what you gotta expect when buying them for a KX swinging arm!
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Fork oil question?

Post by dude541 »

ukkdx200 wrote:just found this thread! good to see theres more support than I first thought for the good old kdx over here! looking forward to seeing the finished polished swingarm! I had thought about doing that but then I remebered im lazy and rubbish so forgot about it!
fair few members from the uk on here now,and we try to be helpfull :lol:
martin i will post you a spare tube of autosol :supz:

best regards
john
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

Thanks John.... That stuff is wonderful, best metal polish one can buy! Regarding riding places... its the same down this way, we have been moved on from where we used to go most Sundays, although we have found a wooded area with some jumps ready made which is good. Although last visit my mate came pretty close to taking out a horse & rider :doh: She had a hi vis jacket on & we both thought it was pc plod :lol: You really dont expect to meet a horse when you fly up over a steep gravel hill, how he missed her i will never know?? Got a wheely out of the horse though as it went up on his back legs, she managed to stay on it (just),Lucky i was lagging behind a bit. Happy days
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

carts69 wrote:Thanks John.... That stuff is wonderful, best metal polish one can buy! Regarding riding places... its the same down this way, we have been moved on from where we used to go most Sundays, although we have found a wooded area with some jumps ready made which is good. Although last visit my mate came pretty close to taking out a horse & rider :doh: She had a hi vis jacket on & we both thought it was pc plod :lol: You really dont expect to meet a horse when you fly up over a steep gravel hill, how he missed her i will never know?? Got a wheely out of the horse though as it went up on his back legs, she managed to stay on it (just),Lucky i was lagging behind a bit. Happy days
is that somewhere you have permission to ride? or somewhere you just found? a guy i know has a massive enduro track on his land,lots of events held there,i used to ride on his land over 20 years ago!

unfortunately due to health & safety these days he wont allow people to use the track,unless its a proper event with marshalls there!
(you could go daily before for a small fee) local council for you! this is also the reason why its so hard to get onto farm land these days!
other tracks local to me are around £25-30 a day to ride! i find them a bit boring though! prefer somewhere open where you can go wherever you want!
best regards
john
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

Yeah totally agree, this place is a tight wooded area although just out of the woods there is a real big open space where you can really let em go! No we don't have permission, it's a place my mate found, although this horse rider said to him... as your bikes are road registered she can't report us, crossers no doubt she could! £25-£30 a day seems a little steep, can't say i'd be happy paying that. Yes i certainly is getting harder compared to years ago although their is usually somewhere tucked away that we can get on (untill we hear otherwise).
ukkdx200

Post by ukkdx200 »

carts69 wrote:Yeah totally agree, this place is a tight wooded area although just out of the woods there is a real big open space where you can really let em go! No we don't have permission, it's a place my mate found, although this horse rider said to him... as your bikes are road registered she can't report us, crossers no doubt she could! £25-£30 a day seems a little steep, can't say i'd be happy paying that. Yes i certainly is getting harder compared to years ago although their is usually somewhere tucked away that we can get on (untill we hear otherwise).
Be carefulll sounds like you cant be there. My mrs rides horses and I wouldnt be to chuffed if u hit her if ure somewhere you shouldnt be.
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

Wish my Mrs rode a little more :lol:
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

carts69 wrote:Wish my Mrs rode a little more :lol:
lol,
when I win the lottery I will buy loads of land we can all ride on without any issues! :grin:
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

Chees John, good luck for next weeks lucky dip! :supz:
carts69
Supporting Member

Fork oil question?

Post by carts69 »

A few before/after pics of my KX rim i have just received back, anodized rim/powder coated hub & dressed with new s/s spokes...
Last edited by carts69 on 11:23 am Feb 02 2013, edited 1 time in total.