Fork oil question?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
carts69
Supporting Member

Fork oil question?

Post by carts69 »

New SENGE graphics...
Last edited by carts69 on 11:25 am Feb 02 2013, edited 2 times in total.
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Fork oil question?

Post by dude541 »

looking good bud :grin:

hope your not planning any big jumps though, stainless is very brittle for of road use, but at least they wont rust! :grin:
keep the pics coming.
best regards
john
carts69
Supporting Member

Re: Fork oil question?

Post by carts69 »

Nah not really much of a jumper John, hope they last longer than a few months?
carts69
Supporting Member

Fork oil question?

Post by carts69 »

Frame sprayed, getting closer to rebuilding now

carts69
Supporting Member

Fork oil question?

Post by carts69 »

Swinging arm waiting for new bearings....

rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Fork oil question?

Post by rbates9 »

dude541 wrote: hope your not planning any big jumps though, stainless is very brittle for of road use, but at least they wont rust!
:hmm: Of the six wheels that I have for my bike everyone of them has stainless spokes. All of them are oem Kawasaki rims.
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Fork oil question?

Post by dude541 »

rbates9 wrote:
dude541 wrote: hope your not planning any big jumps though, stainless is very brittle for of road use, but at least they wont rust!
:hmm: Of the six wheels that I have for my bike everyone of them has stainless spokes. All of them are oem Kawasaki rims.
that's nice for you :grin: I was half expecting a reply like this!
I am no expert, just quoting what my wheel builder told me when I had my front mx wheel done.
do supercross on your kdx??

martin,
loving the pics mate,coming along nicely :grin:
best regards
john
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Fork oil question?

Post by rbates9 »

I just looked and all I could find for spokes is stainless spokes. Not just for a KDX but any dirt bike. If you see your wheel builder again ask them what other types of spokes there are.
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Fork oil question?

Post by dude541 »

rbates9 wrote:I just looked and all I could find for spokes is stainless spokes. Not just for a KDX but any dirt bike. If you see your wheel builder again ask them what other types of spokes there are.
perhaps that is all they sell in the usa? :grin:
my wheel builder makes his own stainless spokes to................I went with what he recommended for off road use,not saying stainless are rubbish,i have stainless on my motard wheels,just stainless are more brittle, depends what you use the bike for.

so I cant see why your making a big deal about my comment?? :roll:

if your happy with your stainless spokes then good for you :supz:
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

John, Got some of the front end back together today! now that i look at it the front wheel is not dead centre, never noticed this before on any bike. The wheel is closer to the right hand fork than the disc side fork ( when looking down from the handle bars). I belive the wheel spacers are correct... longest one on the disc side of the wheel. Any ideas or is this the norm?
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

carts69 wrote:John, Got some of the front end back together today! now that i look at it the front wheel is not dead centre, never noticed this before on any bike. The wheel is closer to the right hand fork than the disc side fork ( when looking down from the handle bars). I belive the wheel spacers are correct... longest one on the disc side of the wheel. Any ideas or is this the norm?
hello bud,
just checked, your forks are of a 2001 kx125 aren't they?

disc side spacer is 36mm, other side 20mm,so they are fitted correctly, all I can say is they must not have got the offset correct when they trued them, as it should sit in the centre.
best regards
john
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

Thanks John, before i acuse the wheel builder i wanna make sure that the wheel is at fault?? I have just read this method somewhere.... Make sure you have both forks at the same height in the clamps first of all. Even a slight variation will be noticable. Second, make sure they are not twisted. Loosen the lower set but leave the top clamps tight, also loosen the axle clamps. Bounce the front end through as close to full travel as you can to line up the forks, then re-tighten everything.

John i may have made a mistake on assembly as i was in a hurry (never wise) Saturday morning im gonna take another look & check the above prior to getting on to the wheel man? Martin
carts69
Supporting Member

Fork oil question?

Post by carts69 »

carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

Sorry John... Just re read your reply, are you refering to the offset of the wheel spacers or the wheel itself?
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

the wheel itself bud, mine was the same when I had it re-laced, had to pop it back to get it tweaked.
made sure mine sat in the middle.
best regards
john
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I'm also intrigued about these spokes. I've also never seen anything but stainless. Not trying to make a big deal of it, just curious.

Bike is lookin good!!!
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

Julien D wrote:I'm also intrigued about these spokes. I've also never seen anything but stainless. Not trying to make a big deal of it, just curious.

Bike is lookin good!!!
maybe they don't do galvanised spokes in the usa anymore?
it was what I was recommended for my use,plus I wanted it to match the rear wheel as I was only getting the front done! :grin:

various different stainless spokes on the market,some may choose the first they see,which can be brittle!
it would seem the best stainless spoke for mx use is what they call the bulldog spoke,as it is made from high tensile stainless, hard wearing, and wont stretch.
this seems to be what talon & sm pro use for there wheels,i have them in my talon motard wheels.

http://www.central-wheel.co.uk/spokes/spokes.html
best regards
john
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Fork oil question?

Post by dude541 »

martin,
finally got some spare time today, got the ball rolling at last!............

yep I need another chain, slightly to long with the 14/45 setup I will be using with these wheels, i wont be taking any links out of this one as I will leave it as it is for my mx wheels.
I also need to gring some metal of the inner front sprocket cover, as it catches the 14t,easy jobs, but looking bitchin! :supz:

best regards
john
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

:supz: Oh yessss! Now that does look very nice indeed, that baby is gonna be so nice to ride! Very impressed John, that is one serious rubber also :lol:
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Fork oil question?

Post by rbates9 »

I had 14/45 on my bike when I bought it and they didn't have to do any grinding to clear anything. You may want to get the new chain before you take to grinding. :wink: But also I went from the 14/45 to a 12/47 and it didn't have to change the chain. :hmm: