Fork oil question?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Fork oil question?

Post by dude541 »

rbates9 wrote:I had 14/45 on my bike when I bought it and they didn't have to do any grinding to clear anything. You may want to get the new chain before you take to grinding. :wink: But also I went from the 14/45 to a 12/47 and it didn't have to change the chain. :hmm:
I bet my wheel is in back to front also! :grin:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Fork oil question?

Post by Julien D »

dude541 wrote:
Julien D wrote:I'm also intrigued about these spokes. I've also never seen anything but stainless. Not trying to make a big deal of it, just curious.

Bike is lookin good!!!
maybe they don't do galvanised spokes in the usa anymore?
it was what I was recommended for my use,plus I wanted it to match the rear wheel as I was only getting the front done! :grin:

various different stainless spokes on the market,some may choose the first they see,which can be brittle!
it would seem the best stainless spoke for mx use is what they call the bulldog spoke,as it is made from high tensile stainless, hard wearing, and wont stretch.
this seems to be what talon & sm pro use for there wheels,i have them in my talon motard wheels.

http://www.central-wheel.co.uk/spokes/spokes.html
best regards
john
Yup, bulldog spokes is what I am looking at to lace an 18" rim to a talon hub. Will check into galvi. Sounds interesting.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Fork oil question?

Post by rbates9 »

dude541 wrote:
rbates9 wrote:I had 14/45 on my bike when I bought it and they didn't have to do any grinding to clear anything. You may want to get the new chain before you take to grinding. :wink: But also I went from the 14/45 to a 12/47 and it didn't have to change the chain. :hmm:
Sorry for offering up some personal experience. :butthead: I will let you get back to you cheering and mating. :mrgreen:

Best regards.
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Fork oil question?

Post by dude541 »

rbates9 wrote:
dude541 wrote:
Sorry for offering up some personal experience. :butthead: I will let you get back to you cheering and mating. :mrgreen:

Best regards.
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

Cheering & mating?
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

carts69 wrote:Cheering & mating?
god knows! :blink: :lol:
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

Must be a British thing? Ill just go & google it, back in a while.......... :hmm:
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

Front wheel sent off today! (again) :hmm:
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

carts69 wrote:Front wheel sent off today! (again) :hmm:
im sure it will be fine this time bud :grin:
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

Yeah, second time lucky John, one lives in hope for a wheel that look smack bang central (or there abouts) :roll:
carts69
Supporting Member

Fork oil question?

Post by carts69 »

John, Got the wheels back, front is looking good & central, tyre went on fine without any damage to the rim & now starting to rebuild...

dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Fork oil question?

Post by dude541 »

carts69 wrote:John, Got the wheels back, front is looking good & central, tyre went on fine without any damage to the rim & now starting to rebuild...

looking good bud :grin:
keep those progress pics coming.
best regards
john
mar5hy

Post by mar5hy »

Hi Guys...
Sorry to jack this...but dude, what sizes are your wheels..
I have just bought some off an aprila sx 125 to fit my kdx 200...but your wheels look so much better.
Was it hard getting the chain line right?
I'm just wanting to know what rim size will fit in the back as the aprilia rear wheel on has a 150 rear section and i want to go as wide as possible?
What does it ride like?
Also i have a crf 250 front end to fit..was going on my xr 600r but i have sold this and i want to moto the kdx.
I presume you just press out the shaft and press into the tripple of the donar forks.
Any help would be great.
Nice to see someone has done this in the uk too.
Regards Rob
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

mar5hy wrote:Hi Guys...
Sorry to jack this...but dude, what sizes are your wheels..
I have just bought some off an aprila sx 125 to fit my kdx 200...but your wheels look so much better.
Was it hard getting the chain line right?
I'm just wanting to know what rim size will fit in the back as the aprilia rear wheel on has a 150 rear section and i want to go as wide as possible?
What does it ride like?
Also i have a crf 250 front end to fit..was going on my xr 600r but i have sold this and i want to moto the kdx.
I presume you just press out the shaft and press into the tripple of the donar forks.
Any help would be great.
Nice to see someone has done this in the uk too.
Regards Rob
hi rob,
your welcome to jump into the thread whenever you want :grin:
I take it your asking about my motard wheels?
mine are talon hub/excel rims combo, 3.5" front & 4.25" rear, originally built for a klx 300 (first set made for that bike apparently) the guy who purchased them originally had a project going on that fizzled out, so I managed to purchase them for less than half the price they would have cost originally, i also knew they would fit the kdx, as they use the same wheel/axle size, although the rear wheel is spaced slightly differently on the klx.

once the rear was spaced correctly the chain line & rear brake where perfect (helped knowing it was built for a klx 300,uses same hub as the kdx, just lots of careful measuring to make sure the offset was how I wanted it (I am using a maxxis presa 160/60/17,after doing some homework I knew that this tyre was going to measure 150mm across when fitted to a 4.25 rim, so in turn knew how much the tyre was going to sit out from the rim, and then measured the chain gap) turned out I didn't have to tweak the offset at all!
I have a 120/70/17 maxxis for the front.

I cant tell you what the bike rides like as I have yet to fit the front wheel! I have 90 kx forks fitted, so the axle size is 17mm compared to the kdxs 15mm, I have the correct bearings in now, but still need to get some spacers made, just haven't had the time yet!

from doing a google I see the aprilia sx125 wheel widths are 3" front & 4.25 rear, the rear size is perfect, i would definitely not go any wider, as for tyre sizes, they can depend on make, i wouldn't go above a 150 unless your 100% sure how it will fit.

from doing a quick google (info taken from the net, you may confirm when you measure etc) the sx 125 wheels use 17mm axles front and back, the kdx rear is 20mm! the sx 125 rear bearing size is id 17mm od 40mm w 12mm, I don't think you will find any bearings that have a 20mm id that has the same width of 12mm! plus I haven't got a clue on the size of the aprilia hub, and if it will line up correctly (sprocket/brake) aprilia rear brake is the same size as the kdx though.

as for the front wheel,kdx is 15mm, aprilia is 17mm, what size axle do your crf forks use??? aprilia sx front disc is 260mm,kdx is 250mm, I believe the crf is 240mm? so if you use the crf forks/brake caliper your going to have issues there! not sure if the kdx stem will work with Honda yokes? if it does you may have to alter the stops so they don't bash into your tank.

hope I have covered some basics, and it has been of help.
best regards
john
mar5hy

Post by mar5hy »

sounds like i have my work cut out then...
Thanks so much for your detailed reply..
I'm not one to let things beat me...so hopefully my efforts wont be in vein..
I paid £160 for the wheels so i'm hoping it will workout ok..
What other options would you suggest?

As for the forks...i will need to machine bushes so the spindle will fit the crf forks...anything is possible though.
Has anyone got a fmf pipe for sale or something similar?
Regards
Rob
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

mar5hy wrote:sounds like i have my work cut out then...
Thanks so much for your detailed reply..
I'm not one to let things beat me...so hopefully my efforts wont be in vein..
I paid £160 for the wheels so i'm hoping it will workout ok..
What other options would you suggest?

As for the forks...i will need to machine bushes so the spindle will fit the crf forks...anything is possible though.
Has anyone got a fmf pipe for sale or something similar?
Regards
Rob
to be honest, from the info I found out yesterday I don't think your going to be able to do it with those wheels, mainly because you cant get the correct size wheel bearings you would need for the kdx rear axle, and with the front set up if you use the crf forks and brake caliper, these are set up for a 240mm disc, where as the aprilia wheel you have uses a 260mm disc.

the easiest option would be to keep the kdx forks, and have the aprilia rims spliced to your kdx hubs, be a direct bolt in then.

as for an fmf exhaust, you may find it difficult in the uk to find a second hand one, have a nosey on ebay.
best regards
john
mar5hy

Post by mar5hy »

How much would you say a 2005 kdx 200 is worth...near mint condition?
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

mar5hy wrote:How much would you say a 2005 kdx 200 is worth...near mint condition?
thinking of getting rid already? hope I haven't put you of the conversion, just trying to help with the easiest option.

is it registered? done much work to it? get some pics up :grin:

if it is as nice as you say then it should sell quickly on ebay.
best regards
john
mar5hy

Post by mar5hy »

Yeah it's registered...2005
To be honest with you mate it's just not what i want...lovely looking but i need something with a big lump in for a supermoto.
I have listed it on ebay so have a nosey if you like.
I had a kdx 220 10 years ago and i thought it was fast but i think i have just got used to big supermotos and this wont do it for me.
Be a lovely trail bike though.
Thanks for you help anyway..i look forward to seeing the pics of yours when it's finished
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

mar5hy wrote:Yeah it's registered...2005
To be honest with you mate it's just not what i want...lovely looking but i need something with a big lump in for a supermoto.
I have listed it on ebay so have a nosey if you like.
I had a kdx 220 10 years ago and i thought it was fast but i think i have just got used to big supermotos and this wont do it for me.
Be a lovely trail bike though.
Thanks for you help anyway..i look forward to seeing the pics of yours when it's finished
no problem bud,
I think you have listed it at a very fair price, and I would hold out for as close to the asking price.
best of luck with the sale.
best regards
john