New fork seals??

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
carts69
Supporting Member

New fork seals??

Post by carts69 »

Hi, Do i need new fork seals if wet rings are present when forks are compressed, their is no dripping,just wet rings around the lower tube. Is this normal or not? Thanks.
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

New fork seals??

Post by dude541 »

sounds like you need new seals,are these the other set you purchased?
not having much luck matey!
best regards
john
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: New fork seals??

Post by Julien D »

I would try to clean the seal before replacing. You can use a fine grit wet dry sandpaper, or a piece of film negative, to remove dirt/grit from between the seal and the tube.
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

Thanks for the replies, yes john this is the other set of forks, apart from this,the forks look good, yokes/caliper/brake cylinder, think this was a good buy. As iv'e said... when they compress a small ring of wet is left behind on each lower leg although no dripping. I think it's best to do them though,now that they are off. These are KYB forks & wondering about what size seals, iv'e read their are 2 sizes, 36/46mm i think?? , will my old seals be marked when i get em out or do i measure the fork diameter?
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

On re filling the forks with new oil & after getting all the air out, what level do i fill the oil to before syringing, do i fill to the top of the inner tube or fill to the top of the thread on the outer tube, im aware the forks need to be fully collapsed before adjustment of level. Finally i draw out around 100ml of the oil, does this sound correct?
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

carts69 wrote:On re filling the forks with new oil & after getting all the air out, what level do i fill the oil to before syringing, do i fill to the top of the inner tube or fill to the top of the thread on the outer tube, im aware the forks need to be fully collapsed before adjustment of level. Finally i draw out around 100ml of the oil, does this sound correct?
you need to find out the spec from a 2001 kx bud really,as they could be different?

do you know that you will need to get your stem pressed out of your kdx yoke,then some knurling done,and your stem fitted into the kx yoke?
best regards
john
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

Yes John, i knew about the stem swap & have contacted a local motorcycle building place prior to getting these forks, they have a press & are going to give it a go!
Regarding my other question.. where do i fill the oil upto, top inner ring or top of thread on outer ring? Gonna just take a gamble on spec!
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

carts69 wrote:Yes John, i knew about the stem swap & have contacted a local motorcycle building place prior to getting these forks, they have a press & are going to give it a go!
Regarding my other question.. where do i fill the oil upto, top inner ring or top of thread on outer ring? Gonna just take a gamble on spec!
i am not sure mate,i just rebuilt my standard forks from the spec of the manual.

i would find out the spec for your year forks so you can make sure you have the correct oil and level etc.
it may be worth giving a kawasaki dealer a call to see if they can give you the info.
best regards
john
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

Ok John, cheers bud! got a kwak dealer just down the road, might give em a shout & see what they say? Martin