Axle bolt wont fit forks??

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

Hi, Im in the process of changing my KDX forks, just got a set of KX 500 with yokes, got an axle bolt from ebay which i was told would fit, it does not fit through the inside fork hole, the hole with the internal thread, in fact it wont even enter the un threaded part of the same hole. The forks are from a KX 500 Year 1994 & the axle bolt is from a KX 250 94-98.
These two clearly do not pair up (axle bolt being too thick diameter). Is their a way of knowing that the forks are 1994 model (any marking i should look for) or could the axle bolt be incorrect year? Please can any of you guys advise? Thanks
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

carts69 wrote:Hi, Im in the process of changing my KDX forks, just got a set of KX 500 with yokes, got an axle bolt from ebay which i was told would fit, it does not fit through the inside fork hole, the hole with the internal thread, in fact it wont even enter the un threaded part of the same hole. The forks are from a KX 500 Year 1994 & the axle bolt is from a KX 250 94-98.
These two clearly do not pair up (axle bolt being too thick diameter). Is their a way of knowing that the forks are 1994 model (any marking i should look for) or could the axle bolt be incorrect year? Please can any of you guys advise? Thanks
i would say then that the forks you purchased where advertised incorrectly.

the links to the parts on ebay i gave you would DEFINATELY fit 94 kx500 forks.
it looks like the forks you probly have are from a 90-93,where the front axle is a completely different part number,hence why it dont fit.

unfortunately this means any other parts you have purchased will also not fit!

and your standard front brake caliper will NOT fit the forks either!

i would contact the seller of the forks,as he has clearly listed them wrong.
best regards
john
carts69
Supporting Member

Re: Axle bolt wont fit forks??

Post by carts69 »

Hi John, I have emailed him but not had a reply yet, what a pain! not sure what to do now? Martin
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

carts69 wrote:Hi John, I have emailed him but not had a reply yet, what a pain! not sure what to do now? Martin
where are you based martin?
best regards
john
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

John, Im in Poole, Dorset. Ive emailed the guy who i purchased the spindle from & this was his reply... Are they upsidown forks, 89 wrer silver, 90 were gold and 92 93 were blue.
Does that sound right to you? Martin (mine are silver up side down)
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

carts69 wrote:John, Im in Poole, Dorset. Ive emailed the guy who i purchased the spindle from & this was his reply... Are they upsidown forks, 89 wrer silver, 90 were gold and 92 93 were blue.
Does that sound right to you? Martin (mine are silver up side down)
the only thing i could suggest at this point is to try to find an earlier axle within travelling distance,and actually try fitting it to the forks before buying,the colour codes sound right,but you never know if they have had the anodising removed over the years.
best regards
john
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

Grrrr, oh man this is hassel. This was his reply on the forks... Bought these forks last year ad said from 94 kx 500 was going to convert my 88 kx to upside down front end but have changed my mind im sure they would fit any kx 500 i dont want them back no returns im sorry

Not good enough really john is it? im gonna open a dispute case with paypal on this one, for some reason he don't want em back... wonder why???? Martin.
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

Just an update john.. The guy who i purchased the spindle from is gonna give me a year on the forks, (well his dad is) he has been in the business for 15 years, iv'e emailed him 2 pictures of them & waiting for a reply. He is certain he will know!
Once i know for sure, im gonna open a dispute case, hopefully return the hub (when it arrives) & same with the spindle, the guy is happy to refund me! Then it's just the small case of getting these forks back to where they came from as they are no good to me, tried my KDX caliper hanger on the forks & the fitting is miles out, just as expected. I have read about wrong listings on ebay & should have be more careful! Martin
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

carts69 wrote:Just an update john.. The guy who i purchased the spindle from is gonna give me a year on the forks, (well his dad is) he has been in the business for 15 years, iv'e emailed him 2 pictures of them & waiting for a reply. He is certain he will know!
Once i know for sure, im gonna open a dispute case, hopefully return the hub (when it arrives) & same with the spindle, the guy is happy to refund me! Then it's just the small case of getting these forks back to where they came from as they are no good to me, tried my KDX caliper hanger on the forks & the fitting is miles out, just as expected. I have read about wrong listings on ebay & should have be more careful! Martin
hi martin,
i am sorry to hear about the trouble your having :cry:

you can still make them work,but need to verify the year,and obviously it wont be a simple as if they where of a 94 bike!
send me the pictures mate, dude542@blueyonder.co.uk
best regards
john
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

do they look the same as these martin? have a close look.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FRONT-FORKS-1 ... 0479424400

regards
john
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

pictures on way john, no mine look different, where the caliper hanger bolts on & the top (bleed valves) Martin
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

carts69 wrote:pictures on way john, no mine look different, where the caliper hanger bolts on & the top (bleed valves) Martin
got the pics mate,even though the triples are correct,the forks are definately NOT from a kx500!
i would put a claim in with the seller.

best regards
john
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

John, opened a case with ebay & the seller has agreed to refund me in full, problem solved. Martin.
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

carts69 wrote:John, opened a case with ebay & the seller has agreed to refund me in full, problem solved. Martin.
great news martin! :grin:
i bet he puts them back up for sale on ebay within a month!

best regards
john
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

John, Yeah bet he will lol, beware everyone. Courier collecting them tomorrow, here is the reply i had from the guy i was telling you about....
The yokes are right for that year but forks are not KX have 2 screws on top one is an air drain and there should be a second for compresion setting on a 14 mm raised nut to undo cap, the nut on yours is to large.
Did the yokes come with them because there right for 1994 - 1998. could you e mail me pics of the bottom of the forks where fork gurds mount and what size is the spindle hole.
i have forks here for Kx from 08 back to 1990 and none are like yours they all have the two screws in the top and 14mm cap top, yours looks about 32mm.
if you can get the other pic i will check kawasaki micro fiche.
also on yours at the bottom on one side you have the alloy square plate thats come off, well on KX forks from 1990 on they have that on both sides, I'm not sure but could be RM forks but whats getting us is they seem to fit yokes on.
Right ok just done some more checking, KX 500 forks are not the same as 125 250, KX 125 250 take a 6904 bearing from 93 on KX 500 take a 6003 from 1986 - 1994 this is much smaller so looking at that i would say they maywell be KX 500 but not 1994 can't be due to spindle size but could be 1993 or before.
The other pic would help to be sure also the size of the stantion tubes so i can check seal sizes.
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

definately not kx500 forks from any year!
the closest i have found is they look very similar to kdx250 usd forks,but they arent a exact match.
they do look similar to some rm forks,but would have thought rm forks would have the compression settings?

never mind mate,at least your getting your money back.
best regards
john
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

Yes refund on way! Ive now purchased the pair you said about KX250 2001 with the extras, Martin.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Can you post a picture of the forks??
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128