Caliper to fork question?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

Regarding KDX fork conversion, i have obtained a set of 1994 KX500 forks complete with yokes, finding it difficult to locate brake caliper& hanger for the same year bike in the UK, do any of you guys have knowledge as to whether any other hanger/caliper will fit these forks, is their a chance the KDX220 bits will fit? Thanks.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

If you have the forks then try the caliper mount on the KX forks. If that fits then there is a good chance that the caliper will fit as well.
carts69
Supporting Member

Re: Caliper to fork question?

Post by carts69 »

Just waiting delivery of the forks, got them from ebay, will try when they arrive but if it don't fit.. any other ideas?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I'm not sure why this is so difficult to explain.

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/products ... nt-caliper

There's the link at cheapcycleparts for the caliper holder for a 94 KX5. See that link below that says "show vehicle fitment"? Click it. Now you see all bikes that use the same part. If the hanger is the same on another bike, it's the same hanger, and the caliper from that bike should fit as well.

I hope that doesn't sound grumpy, just trying to show you how to find information like this quickly and easily.
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

No..thats not grumpy ha ha ha, honestly did not know information like that was available, just had a look at the link you posted & found it most helpful! this im sure will answer a lot of future questions i may have? thanks again for helping answering my stupid question.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Absolutely. Yes, any time you are wondering about part cross-over, that is the easiest way to find out. Look up the bike/part in question, and then check to see what else that part fits. Then you know without a doubt!

Good luck with your conversion. I'm sure those forks will be a marked improvement!
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

Lets hope so? yes now i know.Thanking you once again, love the forum!
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Julien, How about a cross reference sticky where people can post up different random parts that fit the different vintages of KDX's. Yes I know that you can see what part numbers are the same across different bikes but if there is a small difference then the part number will be different but the part may still fit and might even be an upgrade. Like the KX kick start knuckle for example. I have found a few parts that will fit from a kx that have very different part numbers. Also there is parts from different brands that work well for different things (Im not talking about a fork swap but smaller parts). There is a sticky about a rotor being interchangeable but maybe rename that to a more general crossover.

Ok, Im done now. Sorry if I was being grumpy.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

:bravo: lol. Remind me to never again apologize for being a grumpy smartass...

That is an awesome idea. I'm not sure what the best way is to go about compiling the information. Suggestions?

threadjack with a cause... lol. :supz:
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I'm not sure how hard it is to do a new "Group" of topics where you could break it down to something like, Engine, brakes, suspension, wheels, controls, ect. Or just add to the general Q&A. Being broke down to area of the bike might be easier to find the info but the search could also work in a cross reference only topic. You are the Guru so in the end it is your call. PM me if you want any more "tips". :lol:
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

carts69 wrote:Just waiting delivery of the forks, got them from ebay, will try when they arrive but if it don't fit.. any other ideas?
you must of outbid me :lol:

front caliper and hanger from your 220 are the exact same part number as the 94 kx500,so should bolt straight on,you may have to re-route your brake line though.

you will need a kx front wheel.......

93-98 kx250 will fit
94-04 kx500 will fit
96 kx 125 will fit

also need a front spindle with spacers...........

93-98 kx125 will fit
93-98 kx250 will fit
94-04 kx500 will fit

wheel and spindle are easily obtainable from ebay.
i did my homework before bidding on them! :lol:

regards
john
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

rbates9 wrote:I'm not sure how hard it is to do a new "Group" of topics where you could break it down to something like, Engine, brakes, suspension, wheels, controls, ect. Or just add to the general Q&A. Being broke down to area of the bike might be easier to find the info but the search could also work in a cross reference only topic. You are the Guru so in the end it is your call. PM me if you want any more "tips". :lol:
All the parts cross-reference will be a large amount of data. I'm not sure putting it in separate forums and using the built in search will be efficient. Might be better to come up with a little app which can run queries against a database.
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

Hey John, thanks for all that info, yes i knew i had some competition on the bidding & bid a top price before i went to work that morning! with a bit of luck my KDX caliper/hanger will bolt straight on as finding a used caliper for that year kx 5 is not that easy at the mo, thanks again fot the info you have supplied & i will refer back to it as & when the break down & rebuild of the bike takes place (over the winter months)!
Do you have any ideas on a front wheel hub, i intend buying a pair of anodised rims only & new ss spokes & getting them built up,( keeping the rear KDX hub)
For the front hub.. any ides what other hub & spindle will be ideal for those forks? Thanks Martin.
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

carts69 wrote:Hey John, thanks for all that info, yes i knew i had some competition on the bidding & bid a top price before i went to work that morning! with a bit of luck my KDX caliper/hanger will bolt straight on as finding a used caliper for that year kx 5 is not that easy at the mo, thanks again fot the info you have supplied & i will refer back to it as & when the break down & rebuild of the bike takes place (over the winter months)!
Do you have any ideas on a front wheel hub, i intend buying a pair of anodised rims only & new ss spokes & getting them built up,( keeping the rear KDX hub)
For the front hub.. any ides what other hub & spindle will be ideal for those forks? Thanks Martin.
hi martin,
caliper will bolt straight on.
spindle & hub i would stick to the years i posted above.
if it helps.............

spindle & wheel spacers
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290718582602? ... 1438.l2649

hub
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261088083676? ... 1438.l2649

or complete front wheel (does have a spoke missing,but dont make any difference if your gonna have new rims/spokes fitted) plus it has the brake disc (you will need the kx brake disc)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130656296660? ... 1438.l2649

best regards
john
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

Hey john... Your a handy guy to know :grin: You have clearly done your research! since joining this forum iv'e been re educated by all the replies. Thanks for the links, the only hubs i could find were across the water, suppose i was looking at the wrong bike/year etc?
Im off to purchase that hub you sent me, along with the spindle!!
Thanks again, your help & advice is second to none, cheers bud.
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

carts69 wrote:Hey john... Your a handy guy to know :grin: You have clearly done your research! since joining this forum iv'e been re educated by all the replies. Thanks for the links, the only hubs i could find were across the water, suppose i was looking at the wrong bike/year etc?
Im off to purchase that hub you sent me, along with the spindle!!
Thanks again, your help & advice is second to none, cheers bud.
no worries :grin:
if you want a nice brake disc.........http://www.racediscs.com/Kawasaki.html
great price to.
best regards
john
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

John... Your spending all my money :lol: great price on those discs, i do like the wavy style & was thinking of getting a set, well please now i have seen these cheaper ones! Im gonna contact them & see if they can match one for the rear KDX hub?
Thanks John, again dude... you are the man :supz:
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

carts69 wrote:John... Your spending all my money :lol: great price on those discs, i do like the wavy style & was thinking of getting a set, well please now i have seen these cheaper ones! Im gonna contact them & see if they can match one for the rear KDX hub?
Thanks John, again dude... you are the man :supz:
could be worth speaking to them about kdx discs.
i have an old 220 rear disc i could send them for the bolt pattern etc,as your getting a kx front disc maybe you could do the same with your kdx front disc?

could be worth talking to them about it,some wavy discs would look great! :grin:

best regards
john
carts69
Supporting Member

Post by carts69 »

John, Gota email back from the disc company, they can't help me with the rear KDX :hmm:
dude541
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by dude541 »

carts69 wrote:John, Gota email back from the disc company, they can't help me with the rear KDX :hmm:
your probly have to go chinese then.........
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350496927182? ... 1423.l2649

best regards
john