klx forks

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

klx forks

Post by canamfan »

This has probably been asked before but i didn't see it. I'm wanting to do the klx fork swap, which klx forks are the ones to use & what years are best. i've seen 250's 300's & 650's I don't know what the differences are. Also are the drz forks the same as far as being able to use the kdx wheel/axle,brake caliper? thanks guys Steve
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Re: klx forks

Post by Slick_Nick »

Klx300 any year.
'00 KDX 220R
zepplin153

Post by zepplin153 »

Yeah, KLX 300. It bolts right up. Its an afternoon job if you have everything lined up and ready.

I ride a '98 KDX 200 and my forks are from a '01 KLX 300.

All you need is the entire triple clamp/stem from the KLX and the forks.

The wheels are the same parts on both bikes. So, you don't need a new wheel

A bit of advice, While the forks are off go ahead and have both seals done in the forks. And, Replace ALL Stem bearings and races. Trust me... if you don't do these things, you will be soon (especially races and bearings). and it is so much easier to do it once, while you have them apart.

The look cant be beat let me know if you have questions

here is a good shot of my build when it was in progress:

Here is mine when done
'98 KDX 200 (KLX300 Forks)
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

That looks like the way to go, I'm not looking for looks as much as improved performance in harescrambles. Less fork twist and better suspension. Were you able to use the klx stem? If so that would be great, I thought the kdx stem had to be pressed out & put in the klx stem. Steve
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

klx forks

Post by Slick_Nick »

All you need are KLX triples and forks. That is all. Kdx wheel, axle, odometer all work. Remove stock kdx forks and triples, bolt up KLX stuff.

The KLX forks are sprung WAY too soft unless you're 14. Throw some RaceTech's in there and run about 80mm oil level.
'00 KDX 220R
kdxlnt

klx forks

Post by kdxlnt »

Would the KLX300 front end fit on a 1990 KDX200? Would the KDX wheel, brake, and axle fit, or would I need to use the KLX 300 units?
Thanks in advance.
zepplin153

Post by zepplin153 »

how did you come out about your question? I am not sure the exact answer, but i have answered many cross reference part questions (like yours) by visiting sites like thumpertalk or dirtrider parts store. Go to the oem section. It shows parts diagram and part numbers. A trick is find the series of the bikes you are wanting to know about for compatibility. A good point to start would be to look at the outer races (those press into in the the frame where the stem goes through. BTW When your ready I have a remedy to bypass buying any tools to remove and press new races) of the years and models in question. If they are the same you should be able to do the swap using parts from that series. Its also nice to know the series because most parts are interchangeable from a wide range of years (usually 10yrs) from the series so when you need another part for your bike you will know for sure what other years parts work for your bike. So, for example, my bike is a '98 kdx200from the h-4 series (covers 95-06 i think) and the outer races had matching part numbers with the klx300 a-6 series (dont remember year range).... and so on.. Found a Junker '01 KLX300 with good forks and BAAM! All is well.

If you find an overlap like this then everything else should be the same (ie axle wheel levers and all that). Just double check those cross reference parts from diagrams and you should be golden

It really is a simple job and can be done in an afternoon with NO Modifications or machining. It is really best if you get everything you may need lined up and be prepared for your swap.

Hope this helps.
'98 KDX 200 (KLX300 Forks)
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

klx forks

Post by KDXGarage »

Take a look at how a 1989 - 1992 KDX200 caliper mounts on the fork leg, then look at the KLX mounting. I think you are not going to be able to use that wheel or caliper.

You may want to look into just getting a whole KLX front end and sell of your old KDX forks, triple clamps, front brake system and front wheel.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

zepplin153 wrote:how did you come out about your question? I am not sure the exact answer, but i have answered many cross reference part questions (like yours) by visiting sites like thumpertalk or dirtrider parts store. Go to the oem section. It shows parts diagram and part numbers. A trick is find the series of the bikes you are wanting to know about for compatibility. A good point to start would be to look at the outer races (those press into in the the frame where the stem goes through. BTW When your ready I have a remedy to bypass buying any tools to remove and press new races) of the years and models in question. If they are the same you should be able to do the swap using parts from that series. Its also nice to know the series because most parts are interchangeable from a wide range of years (usually 10yrs) from the series so when you need another part for your bike you will know for sure what other years parts work for your bike. So, for example, my bike is a '98 kdx200from the h-4 series (covers 95-06 i think) and the outer races had matching part numbers with the klx300 a-6 series (dont remember year range).... and so on.. Found a Junker '01 KLX300 with good forks and BAAM! All is well.

If you find an overlap like this then everything else should be the same (ie axle wheel levers and all that). Just double check those cross reference parts from diagrams and you should be golden

It really is a simple job and can be done in an afternoon with NO Modifications or machining. It is really best if you get everything you may need lined up and be prepared for your swap.

Hope this helps.
To find true parts interchangeability you need to go a step further and actually have the parts in your hand.

I bought a junk KX 250 and did a fork swap. The bike came with some extra parts, one of them was a new set of brake pads. The part numbers from a KDX and a KX both from the 2000 model year are different. The caliper is noticeably different. The pads are a direct replacement. The compound is different I have found because the KX pads do not have the stoping power the KDX pads had, or the heat resistance. But non the less they ARE interchangeable.

So as far as looking up OEM part numbers it is a crap shoot at best. You might find that they use the same part number but they might use a different part number and lead you to belive they are different and won't work.

Also the KX and the KDX rear hub had a different part number and the KX wheel fit perfectly on the KDX, buy it was 19" so a little pointless.
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

klx forks

Post by zomby woof »

Slick_Nick wrote:
The KLX forks are sprung WAY too soft unless you're 14. Throw some RaceTech's in there and run about 80mm oil level.
I'm 50 and the'yre sprung about perfect for me :razz:

The stock KLX springs are .38, which is heavier than the .35 springs in the KDX forks, and pretty good for weights up to about 175-180 for woods. I'm 160 without gear, and they feel perfect to me.
Ontario, Canada
Jens

Post by Jens »

Anyone ever did a swap with a klx 650? I have found something on here from a guy who was considering to do it but i don't know if he ever did it. I can't seem to find a klx300 fork in Belgium only a klx650 one. The only klx300 forks i can find on ebay are in the USA and i would have to pay like billions of shipping costs what would make it a very expensive swap...
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Hi. Welcome to kdxrider. Please make a new thread instead of replying to a 6 year old thread.

This thread is now locked.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128