RM fork guards on KX USD forks

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

I finally found a fix for the brake line issue when running KX forks with KDX front wheel and brakes. I tried using zip ties, but they kept breaking and the brake line would get into the front spokes.
These fork guards are from a 2005 RM 250. They are going on 2001 KX 125 forks. The front bolt holes matched perfectly on the fork guard, but the side bolt holes were too far forward for the fork guard to match up. To remedy this I used a small (1/4 inch I think) nylon spacer between the fork guard and the forks. This provided a perfect fit. This is looking down at the back of the fork guard....you can see the spacers.

ImageImage

I had to grind the back of the brake line holder slightly to get it to line up with the holes on the fork guard. When I got it lined up it did not hold the brake line as snug as I wanted, so I cut a piece of rubber from an old grip and wrapped it partially around the brake line. It's not going anywhere now. Not a thing of beauty, but it's functional. I've trimmed the excess, so it looks a little better than the photo.

These fork guards should provide much better protection, and I now have a way to mount the brake line other than with zip ties... :supz:

Hope this helps someone with the same issue.

Don
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Looks great! :supz:
I have been rethinking how to get mine set up the way I wanted and this looks to be a good way to go.

With the line clamp, did you put one half of the clamp on either side of the tab on the guard?
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

Yep, that's it. Clamp on either side of the protuding piece of the RM fork guard. It must be a little thinner than the OEM aluminum piece on the KDX forks. But it feels solid. :rock: Pic to come. Can't figure out how to do it all on the iPhone. Maybe the Dogfish Head 60 min IPA has something to do with it. Good stuff! :drinkers:
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Fork guards are fairly universal. Few months ago I picked up some spare KXF guards for my KLX forks. I had the 99-03 style guards before (the ones that slide inside the guides on the fork legs) but I didn't like how the front brake line "floated" there. Picked up some new style ('07-up) KXF guards and bolted them up without problem. These are the same guards as the KLX450R so I followed it's stock routing for the odometer cable as well.

'00 KDX 220R
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

Here's what it looks like from the top rbates. Pretty straight forward, but I did have to grind a little off the clamp so that it would sit far enough back to align with the holes on the fork guard. Sounds like more work than it actually is. Easy.
Nice job Slick. Didn't realize the guards were so universal. Been trying for some time to find a solution. I too had the '99-'03 fork guards before, but didn't like the set-up. That's a great, awesome, looking 220. :bravo:
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Thanks! Pretty much anything can be made to fit with a little inginuity!
'00 KDX 220R
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by G22inSC »

Been away from the site for a while and have just begun reading through the threads trying to catch up. I swapped my front end about a year or so ago and used '00 KX125 forks. I also wanted a better set of fork guards and came up with the RM guards. I used 2005 RM fork guards and used the same nylon spacer idea on the front facing bolts. I was quite happy with the protection and looks over the stock options.

'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'14 Yam YZ125(x) (oldest boy's)
'22 Yam YZ125X (youngest boy's)
'17 Yam YZ85 (soon to be FOR SALE)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

737Driver, those brackets are supposed to go onto the SAME side of the plastic mounting tab. The tab does not go in between the metal halfs. If you move them to the same side, you will no longer need the extra rubber to make up the difference.
'00 KDX 220R
G22inSC
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by G22inSC »

Slick_Nick wrote:737Driver, those brackets are supposed to go onto the SAME side of the plastic mounting tab. The tab does not go in between the metal halfs. If you move them to the same side, you will no longer need the extra rubber to make up the difference.

I'll second this notion. Take a look at my 2nd pic above. You can see the mount is mounted on the "inside" of the plastic tab of the fork leg.
'05 Kaw KDX200 ('00 KX125 forks / '02 RM125 Showa "K2" shock)
'14 Yam YZ125(x) (oldest boy's)
'22 Yam YZ125X (youngest boy's)
'17 Yam YZ85 (soon to be FOR SALE)
'10 Honda Recon (wife's)
'08 Kaw KX65 (Sold)
'07 KTM 50SX Sr. (Sold)
'09 Yam PW50 (retired)
'97 Kaw KX250 (Sold)

Gallery

2005 KDX200 Bike Profile
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

rbates9 wrote:Looks great! :supz:
With the line clamp, did you put one half of the clamp on either side of the tab on the guard?
Slick_Nick wrote:737Driver, those brackets are supposed to go onto the SAME side of the plastic mounting tab. The tab does not go in between the metal halfs. If you move them to the same side, you will no longer need the extra rubber to make up the difference.
That's what I was getting at...
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Correct. My setup is unique in that I dot have the stock outer sheath on the brake line anymore, which would include the "tapered" bit that locks into the recess in the bracket.
'00 KDX 220R
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

Got it right now. Thanks for pointing it out. Much cleaner setup. Didn't quite get what you were pointing out rbates. :oops:
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
808hondacrguy

Post by 808hondacrguy »

Can anyone tell me if these fork guards would work on 98 kx125 forks? I like the setup and would like to put it on my bike. :razz:
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

As I said above, fork guards are pretty universal. Anything can easily be made to fit.
'00 KDX 220R
808hondacrguy

Post by 808hondacrguy »

Thank You Nick, you da man! :supz:
tommyd
Supporting Member

Post by tommyd »

I just got my 2001 KX500 forks a couple days ago and I noticed that the way my axle mounts is different than both of yours. That doesn't seem to be a problem but I then noticed that the brake line guide(?) is permanently cast into the lower fork on mine. The RM guards might fit right over it but I don't think the later ones that Nick used will. I could (and probably will) just grind it off so it won't be an issue either way.

Nick I was curious how the part of the guards that clamp around the uppers work?
Does it have a built in guide or is it merely something for the guard to rub against?
I like the looks of these better than the RMs but I could use a seal saver with the RMs unless that part doesn't really do anything?

It appears the original owner of these forks left a guide on one side and none on the other WITH seal savers. Both Seal Savers were pretty roached so I don't want to try either option.
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: RM fork guards on KX USD forks

Post by B737driver »

Are you talking about the part that protrudes from the bottom of the left fork. If so, you can see in the pics that both slick and I have something similar. The fork guard is above it. That is a mounting place for the original KX routing of the brake cable. Not needed now.

I run seal savers and do not use the fork guard guides. The guard itself is rigid enough to stay in place, unless you smack something with it that is ;)
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

When I bought my guards they came with the "hoops" that go around the fork tube, which the guard then rides on a channel in them, which keeps the tips of the guards awy from the fork legs. 737driver is not using these, although it looks like there is a channel on the back of his guards that would support one. I'm not too sure how vital they are, the new Yamahas don't use them, but their guards themselves are made of a very stiff, thick plastic so that one isn't needed.

In any case, my "hoops" we're a direct fit. The older style KX ones (94-99) required a spacer.
'00 KDX 220R
tommyd
Supporting Member

Post by tommyd »

Now that they are on the bike it's a little easier to take a pic:
The original fork guard has a little notch in it like this:

Whether I grind it off(since I won't ever need it) or notch the new guards when they get here it's no biggie...

I mostly mentioned it for others trying to figure out what works with what.

I ordered the RM set. They should be here in about a week. I will post up when I put em on.
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: RM fork guards on KX USD forks

Post by B737driver »

You will likely get the fork guard guides with the fork guards. Mine came that way. I'm not using them because they do not fit the forks. RM's must be a different size. If they fit, I would be using them. That being said, they are thick and rigid. I don't see it being a big issue.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live