Stock KX Spring Rates?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
kingmoochr

Stock KX Spring Rates?

Post by kingmoochr »

I am hoping to get a set of forks that at the very least don't need to be resprung for trail riding. I am @200 with gear on. Anyone know which model/years would be good to go for?
kingmoochr

Post by kingmoochr »

Haha, well I pulled the trigger on a set of 00 KX250 forks/triples with a tag top clamp and bar :) Will I need to respring these as badly as the KDX forks need it? Or can I hold off for a while now? I'm a complete novice so I'm not putting anything on this bike through its paces...
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

You should be fine.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Congrats on the purchase.

Since you are hoping to stick with stock springs, the 250 was a better choice over 125 forks.

The advice that was given to me is the same advice I've shared with a few people here already. Unless you know that the forks were just recently serviced, it is best to pull them apart and put in fresh seals/bushings and oil.

If you ride with old bushings or old oil or improver oil level, you are going to get a false read/ride of the forks.

Plus it gives you a chance to see if the forks have been revalved already, what springs are really in there and the chance to inspect all the components to make sure they are in good shape.

Just yesterday there was a post over on TT about a guy who has had his forks revalved by several tuners. He was having them re-tuned again. This person found that one of the base valve nuts had spun off and the shims and piston were loose in one of the forks.

I had a similar issue with a set of forks I bought that were revalved by a shop. One of the nuts on the base valve was just barely finger tight. None of the nuts on the base or mid valves had loctite or were re-peened (if that is even a word). I was glad I tore them apart before ever putting them on the bike.

Definitely ride with them before you think about changing springs or revalving. Suspension set-up is such a personal thing that what you already have may be perfect for you.
kingmoochr

Post by kingmoochr »

I was planning on going through them, just glad to hear I might not STILL need to buy springs, thanks :)