Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
FLAKDX
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by FLAKDX »

I'm working on an auction for a set of 99 KX 250 forks and related parts. I probably allready know the answer to this but would a 93 wheel and triple tree work with these forks? I can get the 99 axle and brake caliper. I'm sure the 93 master cylinder will work fine also just need to get a stainless line made up.
03 220R
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

I'm not sure myself. I'd have to get onto the Kaw site and compair part numbers. Ususally if they will interchange without mods, they will usualy have the same number. On my '97 forks, I found I could use '96 thru '98 front wheel. I bought my axle and spacers from Bike Bandit. You can use the Kaw part numbers on thier site and they are genuine Kaw parts. Oh and I wound up buying a '98 front wheel and it fit fine.

Jon.
FLAKDX
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by FLAKDX »

well I know 97-01 is all the same and 90-93 all interchange just not sure about 93-99 :shock:
03 220R
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

01 and 03 are the same!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Flakdx, I just went over to the Kaw site and looked up several front wheels. It looks to me the only ones aplicable are '99-'00 years of KX 250. They should be the same for 250 or 125 KX's. But you might double check me on that. I bought a KX 125 front wheel and worked fine. The part numbers are as follows:

'98 - 41090-1099
'99 - 41090-1117
'00 - 41090-1117
'01 - 41090-1144
'02 - 41090-1144
'03 - 41090-1152

Now, if I'm not reading these numbers right someone let me know. I don't know what each set of numbers mean but they have similar numbers for certain years of bike so that tells me that some years work with others but not all.

Jon.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: '93 wheel and '99 fork.

I think not.

At least, based on what I was told I was buying, it won't. The axle for the '93 is considerably smaller than the '99. I had the older wheel machined to accept a '99 style bearing.

As far as the clamp interchange part...I doubt that, too...but don't know. The '99 forks are 46mm.

So, to clear the whole thing up...let's go to racetech's site!! Do a search for the two different bikes....WALLA! (however you spell it). A '93 is a 43mm setup, the '99 is a 46mm setup.

So, the answer is, 'No!'

Jafo: What are you trying to accomplish? Pics of different spacers isn't going to do the trick. You won't be able to tell from them what the diameters and such are.

On my '99, there are two different length spacers...the longer one goes on the brake side (considered to be LH most generally) because the hub is concave on that side.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
FLAKDX
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by FLAKDX »

OK so the search will go on for a late model wheel. If I get a full blown aftermarket upper and lower triple clamp setup (applied or emig or ???) it will come with the KX stem correct?? Then I can just have that pressed out and my KDX stem pressed in??
03 220R
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Guess that depends on how much 'full blown' it is.

If you can find a set of clamps you want from someplace that does NOT have the KDX stem in it, get a stem from FRP. That way you won't have to mess with pressing the KX out. That was my path of put-together.

If it's an aftermarket set, I'd talk to the guys if I could (like Emig). Better to press the stem in you want in the first time than have to do it twice. Ask'em to leave the stem out!

Consider the source

jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

CC, I'm not following you on the spacer deal. Are you refering to the Bike Bandit site I refered to where I got my spacers and axle? I went to the Kaw site and looked up the part numbers, they worked fine. They are both the same number and same width. Now if this is wrong, I don't know what to say other than , whaazzz up with that? I don't know why your front end has two different spacers, I've seen them that way but Emigs told if thats what they call for thats what I need. But I'm talking part numbers not pics, like you said theres only so much you can tell from a pick because they are different inside diameters some times from year to year. What I have listed as part numbers in my last post are complete wheels. I'm trying to help him in knowing what wheels will readily fit his forks. After that he can get onto the Kaw site and find what spacers and axle he needs, copy the part numbers and order them from Bike Bandit which accepts Kawasaki part numbers when you order by using the search wizard on thier site. Whewww. That was a mouth full. Hope this explains what I was saying. Not all parts fit all years of bike, you have to investigate each part and part number to the year of forks your going with to help make it all work without to much modifications.

As far as clamps go, If you go with Emigs clamps, they will not come with a stem, not if you tell him what your doing and what your buying the clamps for. Be sure to let him know your doing a conversion from a KDX front end to a KX front end on your KDX. I'm not sure if the spacer were necessary or not, maybe with his clamps they were but it will eliminate your steering stops. As far as the other clamp companies go I can't tell you for sure.

Jon.
FLAKDX
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by FLAKDX »

Thanks Jafo. We will see what happens if I win this auction. :partyman:
03 220R
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I' bidding on this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... AMEBI%3AIT

SO STAY AWAY!!

If I get it, I will have a 2002 front wheel with a 20" rim for sale!!!
:supz:

I'm also watching this one in case I don't win the first one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... AMEWA%3AIT
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

I'd like to come across a set of Excel wheels some time. I'll probably wind up buying new ones. I never hardly ever see complete excel wheels on E-bay for KDX's.

Which brings me to a question, will a KX rear wheel work on a KDX? Is there anybody out there that...MIGHT..... have a KX250...AND.... a KDX 220 setting around that they....MIGHT.....look into this sometime? :mrgreen: :wink: :wink: I guess I could go buy me a KX 250 and try it myself but I'm way to lazy and broke. :blink:

Jon.
Last edited by jafo on 08:10 pm Aug 10 2005, edited 1 time in total.
John Cena

Post by John Cena »

Here's some info posted earlier byu jason.

90 was 41mm tubes, silver in color, have rebound adjustability
91-95 are 43mm tubes.
If you see blue ones, they are '91 - '93.
'91 is the last year for "just bolt up and go", avoiding any stem swap, bearing issues, etc.
'96 - '02 are 46mm tubes, with the midvalve being added in '95.
'03 - '05 are 48mm tubes, with the '05 being twin chamber in design

:mrgreen:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

>|<>QBB<
jafo wrote:I'd like to come across a set of Excel wheels some time. I'll probably wind up buying new ones. I never hardly ever see complete excel wheels on E-bay for KDX's.

Which brings me to a question, will a KX rear wheel work on a KDX? Is there anybody out there that...MIGHT..... have a KX250...AND.... a KDX 220 setting around that they....MIGHT.....look into this sometime? :mrgreen: :wink: :wink: I guess I could go buy me a KX 250 and try it myself but I'm way to lazy and broke. :blink:

Jon.
I don't think a KX wheel will work on a KDX.... But... The rims are sold without the hubs so you just have to get a 18" rim with the same number of spokes to work on the rear and the same for the front. Try their site to see if they have a reference for KDX's.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Slight correction. 2001 was the last year for 46mm tubes, and 2002 was the first year for 48mm tubes.

Just to add to that info, 1990 was the first year for USD (UpSide Down) forks.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Why would you want a KX wheel on a KDX?

jafo: More on spacers later...I think.

Consider the source

Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

A freind of mine has an '03 KX250. The rear rim is a piece of crap. I don't think you'd want to bother putting one on a KDX. (I thought they were 19" anyway) He rides fast, and can't keep spokes in the thing. They keep breaking, the rim is nowhere near round, and the spokes are thicker than a KDX's. The hub doesn't look the same either. Other than that, it's a bolt-on :blink: . The '05 wheel is different, but somebody told me they just look stronger, but they suck too.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

canyncarvr, he may be referring to buying an Excel wheel, not just a rim, to replace the KDX rear wheel.

CM, yes they are 19" OEM. If he is talking about buying an Excel wheel and not just a rim, then you can order them 18" or 19".
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
FLAKDX
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by FLAKDX »

hmmmmmm 20 inch front whell huh????

after hearing some of the comments about 20 inch wheels they are kind of appealing to me. Think that could be made to work with 99 KX forks ski??? :?
03 220R
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That'd drop the KX frontend 1/2"!!!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****