Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Maybe juss a 1/4". :grin: Think tire overall height, not rim size. For example, the Dunlop 729 and 759 are 1/2" shorter overall height, so that would be a 1/4".
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

From what I measure, the tire and wheel mounted are the same for 20" and 21". The purpose, I've been told, of a 20" rim is a taller side wall and less flats on the front wheel. It's the 20" tire price I can't deal with. I go through 2 front tires a year and it adds up.
Same on the rear. The 19" rear tires cost more. A shorter profile so they end up being the same diameter on the rim as 18"ers. Purpose of the 19" and shorter sidewall on the rear is to prevent sidewall roll during cornering. Doug had a M12 19" rear tire new he gave me because he replaced his rim with a 18" before he mounted this tire. So I can try it. Doug said its so stiff, the ride really suffers on the long trail rides we do. Must be ok if you are only doing 30 or 45 minute motos.

I will attempt to mount my KX rear wheel to my KDX and let you know how that goes.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Ski... the general ratio of back tires to front is 3:1... How is it yours is 1:1? :hmm:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

CC, Indi, what I'm refering to is Excel wheels. If I do wind up with a set, it'll be complete with hubs. The reson I'm wondering about puting KX wheels on a KDX is that when I went to the Excel site......sometime back....... they did'nt have any listings for a KDX. It's mostly MX'r bikes, like the KX. When I'm on e-bay I've not seen any Excel wheels for KDX's, mostly for KX's and other MX bikes. Thats why I'm wondering if the rear will work or not. That way if it does, I may just buy a set of KX wheels complete instead of having the rear wheel re-strung and buying a KX wheel for the front only. Just buy all KX stuff.

Ski, it's no big deal. I'm just giv'n you a hard time. If you get board and just wonder if it will work or not, and try it let me know. I don't want you to go tear both bikes apart on my account. I was just wondering.It'll be awhile for me anyways on wheels. I want to look into one of those auto lcutches your talking about before anything else. Thanks for the wilingness to do it though. Pretty cool of ya. :supz:

Jon.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

If I had been on the last page of this thread instead of the page of the response..I wouldn't have wasted time saying what has already been said...so I deleted it... ;)

I just bid on this!

...but got immediately outbid by some ski guy.... :rolleyes:

re: spacers

Somewhere between the mix this and match that I got the impression you may be doing the same thing with spacers. I wanted to make sure you got the correct spacers to fit the forks you have. Just because an axle interchanges doesn't mean the spacers do...and (by the pics you posted) the spacers you have now are different from most I've seen...the axle nut being part of the spacer and on the INside of the fork.

Just because something fits doesn't mean it's right. It's possible there could be a set of spacers that would fit the fork width with your wheel but the fork caliper mount may be a bit different offset-wise for use with a different set of spacers.

Sure, you can gets all sorts of stuff and bolt it together to see what happens. My preference is to have a pretty good idea it's right in the first place.
Last edited by canyncarvr on 12:17 pm Aug 11 2005, edited 2 times in total.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Tut, tut, tut !!!! Jerry your pushing to lose your top bloke status pulling stunts like that. :shock: :lol:

I'm dead set sure it was an accident CC and I'm sure Ski will work something out with you. Won't you Ski, hmmm ?!?! :supz: :partyman: :lol:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Don't stand in the way of Ski's parts! Have you learned nothing???? :naughty:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

BEWARE OF THE SNEAKY MONKEY, HE BITES !!! :lol:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:re: spacers

Somewhere between the mix this and match that I got the impression you may be doing the same thing with spacers. I wanted to make sure you got the correct spacers to fit the forks you have. Just because an axle interchanges doesn't mean the spacers do...and (by the pics you posted) the spacers you have now are different from most I've seen...the axle nut being part of the spacer and on the INside of the fork.

Just because something fits doesn't mean it's right. It's possible there could be a set of spacers that would fit the fork width with your wheel but the fork caliper mount may be a bit different offset-wise for use with a different set of spacers.

Sure, you can gets all sorts of stuff and bolt it together to see what happens. My preference is to have a pretty good idea it's right in the first place.
Oh I agree with you 100% CC, believe me when I first started this conversion, it was anything but easy figuring out what was needed. Thats why I went to the Buy Kawasaki site and looked up the parts for that particular year of fork, wheel, axle and spacers. Even the axle I got with my KX 125 front wheel had the nut on it just like in my pic. Believe me I noticed that there have been spacers of different lengths on front ends. Thats why I talked to Emigs about it before I got to far. Thats when he told me that I should go with what Kawasaki was showing. So thats what I did. It did confuse me that they were both the same part number and the same part for both sides. It's something I'm still looking into. The only thing I can go by is the Kawasaki site and the part numbers they give there. It's all worked out ok so far, have'nt had any problems as of yet. Beleive me I understand what your saying totaly. When you get into fabricating parts to something they did'nt originaly come on and you have to piece it together, it becomes a frustrating and confusing mess sometimes.

Jon.
FLAKDX
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by FLAKDX »

4 hours left and I might have some 99 USD forks :)

Lets see if bidslammer does the trick.

If not there are a few other auctions out there for some 93 and 93 forks with triple trees and brakes I'll ocnsider. I ain't gonna buy them though unless I can get em cheap.

How much did you guys end up paying for your forks out of curiosity?? Not complete but just your forks?
03 220R
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

I payed $125 for just my forks and of coarse shipping. The seals were blown in them and leaked. I knew this at time of bidding also. Mine are '97 KX 250 forks.

A friend of mine bought some forks + triple clamps one was an Emig clamp and bar clamps too. I think he gave around $180 plus shipping. His are '99 KX 250 forks.

Jon.
FLAKDX
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by FLAKDX »

Damnit I got out sniped. :evil: I had my max at $100.00 and some bastard got em for 103.52 LOL I knew I should have left it at $125.00.

Oh well I did see a few other nice sets I have on my watch list. I'll keep trying. The set of 93 forks with the triple clamps looks promising.
03 220R
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I payed $200 for 02-03 forks with an Emig top clamp. $250 including wheel, axle, spacers and a set of fat bars. They ended up having RaceTech springs, midvalve replacement and gold valves also. Around abouts $5,000.000 including shipping. :lol: Well almost...

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

LOL! :lol: They get ya with the shipping! :grin:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

>|<>QBB<
KAY DEE EXER wrote:Tut, tut, tut !!!! Jerry your pushing to lose your top bloke status pulling stunts like that. :shock: :lol:

I'm dead set sure it was an accident CC and I'm sure Ski will work something out with you. Won't you Ski, hmmm ?!?! :supz: :partyman: :lol:
Hey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Click on Carvr's link, then the bids link. You will see that I bid on Aug. 9th and was the first bidder. On Aug. 11th CC bid but since I've got a bid in that is higher than his, mine continued only now it's going to cost me more. I thought I said, "Don't bid on this". But Nooooooooooooooooooooo, you just had to anyway. And now you got everyone thinking poorly of me for it as well.
O.K. There may be a suprise for you when you refill your bike on Labor Day weekend at the halfway point. Opps! Did I swap your mix gas with straight gas? Sorry!!! Ha!!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

:lol: I told ya's there was a good explanation for it. :oops: :mrgreen:

wsjkawasaki
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wsjkawasaki »

jafo,
if you want excel rims and spokes for your kdx you can find them in the dennis kirk catalog but they will not be listed on the website,if you want i can give you the part #'s
shane j.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

You DID say, 'Don't bid on this' ...or more like, 'HANDS OFF'.

I just ignored you, is all! Besides, you really didn't expect anything less, did'ja? :wink:

My '99 KX250 forks were some over $200. I realized that was high at the time. That was a 'BuyNow' price as I recall. (...maybe that was only the wheel that I paid too much for...too!)

I took a chance on the forks. The 'ProPilot' sticker on them made me hope that at least SOME of the 'have to' stuff had been done...piston replacement...bladder removal, and a working valve setup. I lucked out. They were in very good shape and had been serviced well.

That was just forks. Clamps, stem, wheel, and axle were separate.

Inda: He just said two fronts a year. The 3:1 ratio may still apply. It does for me, pretty much....but I only let myself buy one front a year. I should buy two (based on what it wears to)...but I don't.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

>|<>QBB<
wsjkawasaki wrote:jafo,
if you want excel rims and spokes for your kdx you can find them in the dennis kirk catalog but they will not be listed on the website,if you want i can give you the part #'s
I got a Dennis Kirk Catalog at home. I'm no where near buying Excel Wheels unless it's just a deal of the century kinda thing. I do appritiate the help though. I may hook back up with ya when the time comes. Right now, Ski has me interested in one of those new fangle, fancy auto clutches. I'm hooked now, it's all I can think about. When this happens the house could fall in around me and I would'nt notice until I've gotten what I wanted. :mrgreen:

Jon. :grin: