What should i look for in forks?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
asmed12345

What should i look for in forks?

Post by asmed12345 »

Im looking for inverted forks. What should i look for on forks on ebay or craigslist to know if they are good and worth the price? Any flaws to look for and how to spot them?
'96 XR 100 ''02 KDX 200
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

Look for ANY issues with the fork tubes. Dents, scratches, gouges. It can be hard to tell what kind of life they have had by looks alone. Just because they have been revalved dose not make them worth more, if you weigh 200 and they were valved for a 150lb or 250lb rider then that valving is of no use to you. Not that they should be ruled out, just not valued higher. And for the most part the newer the better but there is some older forks that are desirable as well.

Look thru the fork swap section on here and see what swaps you feel comfortable with doing. Any forks can be made to work but some are easier than others.

Try to find as complete of a front end as possible so you don't have to track down all the extra pieces one by one. (Triple clamps, wheel, axle, brakes, ect...)

Do your homework and make sure they have both rebound and compression adjustments so you don't spend money one what you already have.

I'm sure you will have more input but this should get you started.
the machinist
Supporting Member

Post by the machinist »

Are the bars solid mount or bushing style? A few years of Kawi went solid, the rest are rubber bushing style like KDX, personal riding style. Good luck on your search :grin:
-Matt
osobad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by osobad »

just so you know valving is not for wieght it is for terrain or style of riding you spring for wieght. plan on a revalve and poss. respring if you are getting forks off of an mx bike unless it has woods valving. Just be prepaired to set up what ever forks you use for you. The conversion will be well worth the effort. Really not that much effort involved.