Damper Problem.

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Damper Problem.

Post by jafo »

Well it's not a problem yet but could be. My fork stoppers are all but usless when I converted my forks due to the shimming. Now that my damper is on, I did'nt notice the interfearence between the damper tower on the frame and the top clamp. I noticed it yesterday. Well I've came up with a solution and wanted to share with my buddies. :mrgreen: It's very simple. I tried to find a good location on the bike to install some stop bushings. I finally settled on the short part of the exposed frame rail bellow the front of the gas tank. I then had to find a hard enough rubber bushing that was thick enough. I had alittle problem locating that because it needed to be at least 3/4" thick rubber. I looked at alot of stuff at the autoparts store but remembered using expansion plug rubber for bushings on my car. The rubber was just the right hardness and the thickness was perfect. They come in a different outside diameters to choose from. So I went that route. Next was time to decide on how to mount them on the frame. I decided to epoxy them to the frame. I got me some Loctite brand quickset epoxy and glued them on. I roughed up the frame first, then cleaned it all up, next I roughed up one side of the rubber and clenaed it good then stuck'm on. I'll have pics in the gallery soon.

I don't know if you guys had this problem with your dampers or not. I looked into getting a shim taken out but found that the steering stops was'nt comming into play even if they were aligned to hit anyways. The topclamp was hitting the damper tower long before the stops came close to touching. So the bushings was my only solution in my feeble mind.

Jon.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yep...got the same issue.... bought a welder and was going to weld up my stops so they stop something! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

I posted the pics if you want to check it out.

I don't know how well the epoxy is going to hold up, but it sure is better than damaging the tower or even posibley the damper itself.

Jon
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Wow... never thought of that! Good work Jon! :prayer:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

No problem. Thats why I wanted to have share time today. j/k :wink: I hope that some one could use it also. Might want to give me a chance to see if the epoxy is going to hold or not before diving in on yours. It looks like it'll work out great though. I got the expansion plugs at Advanced Auto. The Epoxy I got at the local hardware store. I wanted some glue that I thought would last. Loctite makes good stuff so I went that direction. Glad to help though. Thanks.

Jon.
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

This epoxy was suppose to set up completley in 20 minutes. So I just checked them out. I'm tell'n yah, those boogers on on there! I tried to pull them off by hand, and they are'nt budge'n! Awsome! N ow i'll have to ride it and crash to see if they will stay on after a crash.............Not! Mty riding will probably be over for awhile unless some miracle happens to my knee overnight. So if one of you guys does this and rides with them on, let me know how they work out.

By the way, Indi, hows your foot comming along?

Jon.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It's healed!
All ready to go... shoulda went out this weekend but I want to make sure it's good to go. No pain at all now... I only have one more weekend before LBL that I can ride so I will be going out then. :grin:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Awsome, good luck!!!!!!! and by all means have some fun! I know your ready to cut her loose! :partyman:

Jon.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Hmmm
I have a bolt-on tower and my top clamp doesn't come close to hitting the tower. The stock stops on the frame hit well before. However, I'm running a TAG top clamp so maybe that's it.
What about grinding the tower so it's narrower and won't hit the top clamp?

I just viewed your photos and man, that's a lot of turning radius you are giving up there! I can't imagine what a turn must take in a tight area. Sometimes I am going from stop to stop on my turning to negotiate the trees. What brand clamp is that? I thought you got all Scotts stuff. If that's a Scotts clamp hitting the Scotts tower, then I'd be on the phone pronto. One good thing, you will never have your forks touch the gas tank like mine does. My forks just kiss the tank as the turning stops touch.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I was thinking about grinding the tower myself, but that may weaken it and it still hits the tank. So... between Jon's solution and grinding the tower as little as possible I think I can get to a point of compromise. If I can modify the bumpers to where it just stops the fork travel right before hitting the tank then I can minimize the amount I have to take off the tower. Mine don't gouge as bad as Jon's but they are gouged...

The fork stops never come into play..... :?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Ski, It's not as bad as it may seem. I run in very tight woods and have'nt had a problem making a tight turn yet. I slide my rear tire alot in the woods anyways, so I guess you could say i steer with my back tire as much as the front tire, but thats when I'm at racing type speeds. I do alot of brake sliding into corners also. So I realy have'nt noticed it heitting the clamp.

Grinding the tower never crossed my mind. I'd be kind of scared to do that. I hate to alter to far from what they have set up. I'd be scared of the tower possibley busting off on a crash. I'm running the Emigs top clamp. It's actually for a KX500 but it fit the steering stem where the stock KX250 clamp did not. Before the damper install, my clamp did hit the tank just slightly. I was going to try this bushing deal to cure that problem but this tower problem popped up, so it kind of had to be done.

Jon.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

My top clamp only just touched the tank when I had a small crash. I grabbed out the heat gun and reshaped the tank very slightly. Voila !!!

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Thanks for all the info. Something else to consider with the KX for mod is running the Scotts and choosing a top triple clamp. I don't know how I got lucky. Somewhere in my gallary is a photo of my bar setup with the scotts and the top t-clamp if anyone is interested in looking at it.

Were's CC been today?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Ski, I've analized your bike and Indi's bike so many times, they both are permanetly burned into my brain. They are both awsome bikes. I look at your guys bikes to get ideas for my bike. I've almost cloned both bikes into one.....my bike. :mrgreen:

I went back out today. The more I ride the more I notice the damper. It saved my butt again today for sure. The top o the bluffs where I ride theres alot of loose rocks and the surface is primarily made of flat porous smooth rock, it's kind of patchy. You can get up some pretty good spped. It's about 200 yards long. Anyways, I climb this rock wash, missed a gear, put into neutral and kicked it on daon to first then second and wheely ofer the small ledge at the top. I was pissed that I screwed up so I burried the throttle. As said it's almost a straight shot with a few curvey areas and uneven rock surface and I hit this one area at around 30 mph and it jiggled the bars alittle and ammediatley straightend the bike out straight and shifter the whole bike to the left about a foot but I was up and still going. It did'nt even feel like it was going down, just shifted the bike and kept it out of tank slap. Felt really cool. I did slow down. I had my heart in my throat. I ran off today and forgot my roost protecter. So it definitley saved my bacon for sure. had I went down, it would have been on some large rock, and it would'nt have been pretty.

The little bumpers I put on the other day worked great. I only went down once today but they did'nt hit the bumper. No turning problems either. I think it's ready to roll for it's first race. I'm not I have an MRI tomorrow after noon for the knee. Sept. 11 will be he before I know it. First Enduro..............maybe. I need a roll chart too, almost forgot.

Well just wanted to share.

Jon.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I hope all turns out well Jon... Injuries just plain suck! :evil:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Get well soon, jafo! Good luck with your knee.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

jafo wrote:Ski, I've analized your bike and Indi's bike so many times, they both are permanetly burned into my brain. Well just wanted to share.

Jon.
I think your sharing abit to much info. :shock: :lol:

BTW best of luck with the MRI. :grin:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I've been told I'm anal about my bike but I've never had it analized. Vince you are a smart as$.

Hope the MRI goes well.

The scotts is one of those mods that make you think at first, you wasted your money. Then as you start to go faster and crash less, you realize it's almost cheating. I've been knocked completey off course through brush, hands no longer even on the bars and the bike just keeps rolling along. Fortunately, I recover and ease back onto the course. I did this during a race and the guy behind me thought for sure he was going to have to fill out a witness report for the death certificate. :lol:
It's the near death experiances that keep me coming back for the adrenalin rush.
Jerry

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

skipro3 wrote:Vince you are a smart as$.
What did Vince do ?? :shock: :lol:

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

oops! I meant Trev. See you are a smart as$. Even got Vince in trouble!

Oh, my wife says she's going to make a pumpkin pie for you when you arrive. You lucky dog, you!!! She makes the best pies! Yumm!!!
Jerry