Damper Problem.

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

It wasn't me, nobody saw me do it !!! Oh hang on, yes they did... DOH. :lol:

RE: Punken pie.
I guess that means I gotta get some witchetty grubs for ya's. :grin:

Mel say's "YUMM"!!! also but I'm still abit scared of a sweet vegetable pie. :shock: :grin: Now where's my vegemite toast gone.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Thanks for the support guys. I'll let you all know the results. May take a few days. Dealing with referals and stuff through the insurance company.

Jon.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

From the nick on the clamp, I'd be taking metal off the clamp not the stabilizer rod. Sure wouldn't take much.

Jafo..if you're happy with the decreased turn º then so am I. I'd hate to give up that much myself. Good placement idea!

Good luck on the knee! I'm real familiar with them getting screwed up!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Thanks CC. The turning radius has'nt come into play for me yet. I guess my riding style maybe forgives needing a tighter turning radius. I like to slide the rear tire and I like the throttle. Between the two, it's helped with the decrease in turning radius.

Jon.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I can imagine a time when it would be helpful...having nothing to do with steering.

More than once I've had a dickens (that means 'bad' ;) ) of a time getting my bike unstuck from a hole because pulling on the bars only results in the forks turning which results in the wheel turning sidewise enough to get stuck worse. At that point I'd just as soon the front end didn't turn at all!

I rarely go to the stops in any turning situtation. But there are a few switchbacks I can think of where I need every bit of º I can get, even with 'skid steer'.

I'm sure there's a name for it..I don't know what it is..but planting your foot, cranking the forks tight to turn a 180º..the less angle you have on the forks, the more you will have to lean the bike to get the back end to come around.

Again, none of that matters if it all works for you! :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

you see fellers, that's where the KX500 really shines. :supz:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Go buy it already Mike!
We give you permission.... just don't come back when your in traction with two broken femurs and say that we shoulda talked ya out of it! :roll: :lol:

I dare ya to buy this instead!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1993-Yam ... dZViewItem
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

WOW! Thats a nice bike! An it's in my neighborhood, well sort of. It's close! If I only had about $1800. :cry:

CC, I know what you mean about those switchbacks. They have alot of them at Chadwick. Alot of gravel and some you don't have a choice but to slide the rear. Alls it takes is hitting the break, the bike realy does the rest, because you will naturally help guide the bike on around the corner. I've had some realy freek me out, to the point I took an alternate route off trail and wound up getting in worse trouble than if I'd just took the corner in the first place. :lol: I did this one time and kept parelleling the trail down the hill looking for a way around the errosion rut between me and the trail until I finally ran smack dab into a big boulder coverd in leafs and vines. should have just stayed on the trail. :lol:

Jon.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well.. I was thinking of getting a KLX... after weighing the costs... it's gotta be another 2 stroker or a 4 stroker other than the KLX... Why you might ask, simple ... they are OVERPRICED!

Compared to a WRF a KLX is way way overpriced! A average 97 KLX 300 will run you around $2500 for a well taken care of stock bike. I saw a well taken care of 2002 WR426F for $2650 Buy it now. Now that's crazy! :roll:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-W ... enameZWDVW
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

The one WR426F that I rode was an uncomfortable mofo. Seemed really top heavy to me (even in comparison to my 89 KDX) but thats just an older thumper thing I think. That being said, cubes are cubes i'd take the 426 over the 300 :lol: :supz:

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Wow... never thought of that! Good work Jon! :prayer:
Well I went out again today. To a riding area that I have'nt been to yet. I went to Deepwater Mo. It's by Truman Lake. Matter of fact it's right next to the lake. I was kind of impressed with the area. Anyways, I was taking some burms and lost it on a lefty. Front tire went into one rut and the back into the bottom rut. Front end went up the bank and the bike landed hard on it's left side. The bumper worked!!!!!!!! And it's still on there!!!!!!! If that little crash did'nt take it off, it'll take a jack-hammer to take them off!!! :supz:

My knee made it through and I did'nt put it down the rest of the day. Thiose dang burms are tricky! they're in a wide open area, like a basin. They are snaked though the basin and the 4wheelers gottem rutted. It's been dry as a bone here and the burms are full of silt and you can't always see the ruts. Thats what got me.

I just wanted to let you know that the bumpers held up good through the crash.

Jon.