92 RM 250 front end, any better than E series forks?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
Terrence Sprocket

92 RM 250 front end, any better than E series forks?

Post by Terrence Sprocket »

I have a chance to pick up a complete ( wheel, axle, triple clamps, brakes, forks, etc) 92 RM250 front end for my 89 KDX 200. Thinks it's worth it? Would they be much better? Im assuming yes because they're made for MX and have straight rate springs, but they're kind of out dated. What do you's think?
I've been looking at a few front ends and complete MX chassis, and I've been posting new topics on these on here. Got all kinds of good input. Hope I'm not driving anyone crazy with all these néw posts tho LOL.

Thanx...
KDX ALL THE WAY!
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

If it were me, I wouldn't buy 20 year old forks. But if you do, make sure bushings and seals are still available as you'll need to replace those (unless you know for a fact that they were just serviced). I'd also plan on replacing all the shims and any other wear parts.

If you aren't in a hurry and can be patient on eBay, I think you can find a better deal on something newer.
Terrence Sprocket

Well, I can get the whole 92 RM for $400. My plan was to swap front ends with my '89 KDX and then sell the RM. The forks seem to be nice and stiff. The seals don't seem to be leaking, and wheel bearings seem tight. I wouldn't mind building a hybrid, but not with that old of an MX bike. That's why I think I'ld be better off to do the front end swap. Do u think the forks would be much better than my current ones?
KDX ALL THE WAY!
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

>|<>QBB<
Terrence Sprocket wrote: The forks seem to be nice and stiff. The seals don't seem to be leaking
Stiff forks aren't really what you are looking for on a woods bike. And that doesn't mean they are in good shape internally. On forks that old, I would want to rebuild them to get them back into good and safe shape. It is just like buying a used 2t bike - you can ride it as is and be OK. But it is always best to replace the top end so you know what you are starting with.

Considering that they are MX forks, I would expect you'd need to make some shim stack changes to make them more woods friendly.

Also don't forget that the springs in the forks may not be correct for your weight. If you need different springs, can you still get those?

If you are going to spend the money and time on a front end swap, I'd make sure seals and bushings are still available. They might not be leaking now, but they don't last forever.

I have no knowledge on those forks, so I can't help you if they are better than what is on your KDX.
Terrence Sprocket

Ok. Thanx for the input. I'll look into the availability for replacement parts for that particular front end. Can't really see it being a prob tho cause I can still purchase brand new odds and ends for my KDX front end from 89.

Thanx.
KDX ALL THE WAY!
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Don't overlook eBay and all the blown-up 4 strokes that are being parted out. A while back I got the entire front end from an '07 KX450F for ~$275 with shipping.
Terrence Sprocket

Nice! U put it on your KDX? Big improvement ehh? What year KDX?

I'm also looking at a complete 2001 CR250 rolling chassis to build a hybrid. I have that posted in the KDX/MX hybrid section. I'm almost leaning in that direction. The fellow wants $800 for the complete chassis. I still gatta go check it out tho. I'm hoping he's a little flexible on the price. I'm not exactly sure yet on which to do..... Mmmmmmmm..... Front end swap....... Or hybrid build? The cutting and welding won't be an issue for me, even tho I'll have to weld aluminum for the bottom motor mount. Then again, it would be nice to avoid the fabricating and do a simpler task like a front end swap.

It's all still up in the air....
KDX ALL THE WAY!
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

>|<>QBB<
Terrence Sprocket wrote:Nice! U put it on your KDX? Big improvement ehh? What year KDX?I
No, on my hybrid. I've got those details in the link in my sig.

The '07's were better than the revalved KX forks. I'm working with a set of '11 KX450F forks that are even better yet.
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

MX forks tend to be closer to cutting edge technology at the time, where most off road bikes (KDX, WR, RMX) forks were old tech when the bikes were new. The MX forks come with "stiffer" valving which is usually harsh on trails. Conventional forks, by design, are typically easier to make into a trail fork, which is why they are still offered on trail bikes.

Here is a list of forks that I dug up when deciding on my conversion. They are considered to be very good off-road forks with stock valving.

"I have been doing lots of digging on the same idea, trying to find the best woods forks to bolt on, since I play at racing HS. Some riders feel that conventional forks are better that any USD fork in the woods. One guy put the 87 CR forks on his 07 WR450, they are supposed to be that good. The 06+ YZ SSS forks are supposed to be awesome, if you can get them.

These are the ones that I have found some consensus on for being good for woods:

87 CR 250, 43MM conv., should fit the KDX triples, but lots of underhang.

91-97 WR/YZ 250, 43 mm USD

96-98 RM 250, 49mm conv. (also DRZ 400)

07-09 CR250X, 47 mm USD

I am sure there are guys on here that have found others that work well, just not a lot of agreement on which ones are THE FORKS to get."
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I am using 93 YZ250 43mm USD's, and I am very happy with them!
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

That's sweet....I think that's what I'm going to do. I have two nice sets of forks for my 94 WR...One totally mint set of OEM takeoffs($150 ebay), and a pro-action valved set, setup for my weight, setup for woods, and they are sweet($200 ebay, with matching shock!). Gonna take the woods ones off for the KDX, and put the OEM (harsher) ones back on the WR as it's gonna be more of a blast across the field type of bike where HS stability is needed/spare bike. I also have an OEM set that needs rebuilt if anyone wants them.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project