YZF426F front end on 1990 KDX 200?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

Right, they "avoided" keeping me upright and I spent a week in the hospital with broken collarbone, punctured lung, and seven broken ribs.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Ouch!!!!

With regard to yamaha forks pre-05 I have a KDX200 that uses 02 yz125 forks and I love them. I revalve them myself and the stock .41 fork springs are right on for the riding I do. The yamaha triples are better than the KX IMHO because they mount the handle bars further forward, roughly a full 1/2 inch more forward than the stock KDX triples, which make the bike turn on a dime and handle anything with great control. (Stay away from the pre-02 yamaha triples as they mount the bars too far back, similar to the KDX/KX).

I've done three yamaha triple conversions and all needed about .003" inch knurling on the KDX stem to be a press fit. The KDX caliper will work but you need the yamaha caliper mount bracket. You also need to widen the stops slightly, and that just takes welding a wider stop right onto the top of the stock KDX stop.

You can use a KX wheel or a yamaha wheel, with the KX wheel you will need to custom make the spacers to fit. Early pre-2002? yamaha wheels have a smaller diameter brake rotor so they won't work. I know 2002 forward are good, 2001's may be OK you'll have to check.

As a matter of fact, my yamaha-forked 200 uses a 96 KX125 hub and spokes, a KDX rim, and I tapped out the KX hub to take the larger KDX brake rotor bolts so I could use the good KDX rotor I had.

I feel the yamaha compression stack (for these years) is more tunable than the KX forks units I messed with - they have better flow ports for off-road applications.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
mauricedorris

Re: YZF426F front end on 1990 KDX 200?

Post by mauricedorris »

I'm looking for some help on how to fit a yamaha front end on to my 94 kdx200. I read up on the knurling and pressing the stem into the yamaha lower clamp, making bushing, etc... But... who can I go to to help me with that? I do not have access to any machine shop tools. If I did have access, I wouldn't know what to do.

Any guidance or list of people I can enlist to help me would be great.
94 KDX200 - just got it, looking forward to fixing it up!
08 KTM450 - wild and crazy ride...