Steering stop

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
F1

Steering stop

Post by F1 »

I have 05 KX 250 Forks that I put on my 06 KDX 200.

Aside from some stiction going on ( new fork seals) I have to modify the steering stop on the lower triple.

I have heard of the upper triple hitting the tank etc. On my bike the steering hits nothing turning to the left. To the right the Fork Tube hits the frame (right where the manufacturers sticker is. At that point the stop is about a 1/4 inch from hitting.

before I weld up the stop to correct this - Am i missing anything as far as setup that may be the culprit? Why would the right fork tube hit the frame before the triple hits the tank? (maybe the tube diameter being larger than older KX forks?)
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

My DRZ triple does not hit the tank. The fork tubes do. Nothing hits the frame. To get the same offset, the larger tubes have to be centered further back towards the tank, reducing the steering travel. But it doesn't make sense that one side hits and the other does not. Make sure you have the tubes aligned properly in the clamps. They can be assembled with a slight twist.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
F1

Post by F1 »

In looking more closely the stop is not centered on the head tube. Also - the tank is not perfectly centered on the frame. The frame protrudes beyond the tank on the right side and the tank overhangs a bit on the left.

GSA -where are you in PA? Im always looking for someone to ride with.
paceyman
Supporting Member

Post by paceyman »

F1,

I did the same mod and it hit's the tank on both sides. Planning on adding some meat to the stops as you indicated.

Thanks for posting.
Paceyman
06 KDX200
08 KX65 - Son's
04 KTM 50SX - Daughter's
06 KTM 125SX - TBD
03 Honda CR85R - Son's
06 Polaris 300 Hawkeye - Wife's
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

I was going to ask if your tank is centered...

I am near Clarion. I would be up for some riding, but just to warn you, I come with a 9yo on a KX 65. He is a pretty good rider, though. my 5yo just started on a PW, but I can't see taking him trail riding yet.

We race the AWRCS series, and are looking to try a couple events in the new PAXC series. As soon as I started racing the KDX my finishes improved several positions.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250