Swap Questions

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
F1

Swap Questions

Post by F1 »

Hi all,

I have only been here for a little bit, but TONS of great info here. Yesterday I bought a complete 2005 kx250 front end for a very good price - 150. The forks need seals so I am taking care of that this weekend. I got the wheel, caliper, master cylinder, forks and triples. I need a winter project. :grin:

In my searches here and on DRN and elsewhere I see little about removal of the lower stem bearing and re-installation of it after the stem is pressed into the kx triples. Is there any way to realistically re-use the same bearing? Is there any DIY way to install the lower bearing?

I'd like to send the triples and stem to RB and get the swap done and the spacer/sleeve for the upper triple. But If I need to have the lower bearing pressed on - I'll have to wait to send everything out until I can order new bearings.
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

If you are sending the triples to RB then he can take care of the bearings for you. If the old bearings are still in good shape than just reuse them if not get a new one to send with the clamps.

A press is about the only good way to do it your self. You can cut the old bearing off but that can get messy.

When you press the stem out the lower bearing will fall off as the stem goes down. For reassembly you can heat the bearing up in the oven to about 220 deg f and then just drop it on. Make sure the bearing is clean before you put it in the kitchen oven. :wink:
Rjcapt
Supporting Member

Post by Rjcapt »

The removal or removal/replacement of the bearing is included in the stem swap price. He will either A) reinstall the original bearing B) install a new bearing if you send it or C) send you back a bare stem so you can install one. Just clean the grease off the old bearing before sending it. He did mine about a month ago, no problems at all.

BTW great score on the front end! I paid that much for just the wheel.
heckler

Post by heckler »

bearings are cheap. put a new one in while you're in there.