01 KX forks Question??

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

01 KX forks Question??

Post by B737driver »

Just got my KX forks and triple tree for the conversion (01 KX 125). I notice they are a couple of inches longer than the stock KDX forks. Is this normal?

What's the latest on running the brake line? I'll be running the RB axel mod and KDX front wheel and brakes?

Can you run the stock odometer with this setup?

Thx in advance

Don
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
Rjcapt
Supporting Member

Post by Rjcapt »

I have 03 forks on my kdx. They are longer so I slid them up into the trees until they just cleared the bars. Make sure you rotate them so the bleeder screw is forward so you can access it. With the forks flush, it was just enough so that the front end came up too easily. I do a lot of hill climbs and that's bad.... Now the balance is just right. I can pop the wheel on demand but it stays planted when needed.

If you run the kdx brake, just run the line as with the kdx forks. Some people don't like the idea of the brake line running under the fork a la the kx. I'm running them both ways. My kdx as factory and my hybrid as factory kx. I may fabricate a guard for the kx or move it if it becomes an issue. I'm not too concerned.

I used the kx wheel on both so I scrapped the odometer. I never used it anyway. I'd ask Ron to be sure.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

I'd take some measurements with the KDX forks so you can try to get back to that point with the KX forks. So with the bike on a stand and the front wheel off the ground, measure the axle to some reference point on the frame. Or measure from the wheel to the underside of the fender.

Then once you get the KX forks, slide them up and redo your measurements. Hopefully you'll have enough room to get close.

I had to shorten my forks, I ran out of adjustment room on the upper tubes.
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

Thanks guys. Just trying to pre-plan so I don't have to come back and say "don't do what I did".
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

For the forks if you slide them up in the triples about as far you can (about 3/4") then the bike will sit about 1/8" higher in the front. At least that was the case with mine. I marked the frame near the stem bearing with the bike holding it's own weight then did the same measurement after the swap.

The brake line is a preference thing. The front end I used needed a new brake line so I just used the KDX setup. Buy the way the KDX has a larger caliper also. You will need to make a bracket to rivet to the fork guard to hold the line clamp down about where it was on the KDX. I used the lower guide from the KDX on the upper KX triple and the stock KX guide on the lower. If you used the KDX guide on the lower clamp the fork guard will hit the lower guide when the forks compress.

The RB axle mod is intended to use the odo drive. If you wanted to down the road do away with the odo drive there is a spacer you can get to do away with it.