Swappers advice needed?? on 49mm showa's

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

:supz:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Frysk

Post by Frysk »

Nice!
Tomorrow I'm gonna buy a '99 rm125 front end and I've got one question, your friend made a new stem but is that in exactly the same dimensions as the stock kdx stem?
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

Um yeah, I might be picking up a pair of DRZ 49mm forks, how much would your friend charge for another stem? :mrgreen:
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

Just a suggestion Factory X, you could have the steering stem made about 5MM longer so you don't have to cut and flip the nut like I did. And have the bottom of the stem made bigger to press fit the DRZ clamp.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

Hey guys
It's been busy around here.
The stem was the same as the kdx unit with a larger lower press in section to fit the rm stem.
I'm going to end up machining off a raised portion of the lower triple where the lower bearing presses on. You can see in one of my pics that the nut doesn't thread on as well as it should. So it'll either be to machine down the nut as gsa102 did or machine the lower bearing mount to give more space.

No dice on machining more stems, but I could ask around... The stem I got was a covert operation. There is a local machinist I could ask though.....
Mine is steel and not drilled out(yet) so it's heavy. The best would be drilled aluminum.
Fletch
89 kdx 200 with 99 rm125 forks