Fork Conversion for 1989 kdx 200 e

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
paulh_55

Fork Conversion for 1989 kdx 200 e

Post by paulh_55 »

Hello Forum

Just got myself a 1989 kdx 200 E model.

I took it to local mx cross track and loved every minute of it, now I want more, but I did find the front forks to be very squashy around the track.

I am now looking to do the KX fork coversion but I couldnt find anything on here for my year of bike.

I just wondered what year of KX forks/yokes would be the easiest to put on my 89 kdx frame. And what machining if any would be needed.

I know I need a whole front end and there is plenty on ebay for sale. for most years.

Also Im from the UK so asking rb designs to do work would be hard

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

there's no difference in the swap for your 89 or the newer KDX's. Your's has the same stem and bearings, so follow the same suggestions.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

all you need is forks, triples and an H series front brake

any decent machine shop can make all the pieces
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

I belive the 94-04 KX 500 triple clamps are a direct bolt on and an improvement over what you have. Earlier ones may also fit, but the earlier forks would not be much of an improvement.

Buy those with the forks, front wheel, and brakes and just bolt on. They are highly desireable for that reason, so they cost more.

Everything else requires some sort of modification/stem swap. Double check the previous posts to make sure I have the right years.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250