Doing conversion - ordering parts - What do I need ?

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Doing conversion - ordering parts - What do I need ?

Post by ihatefalling »

Hey guys....adding 99 forks to my H model.

RB is doing the triple and axle mods for me.

I know I'll need some fork guards.
Will I need bar risers to get the front end geometry correct?
Am I correct in thinking my KDX caliper/line will mount up to the 99 fork?
Anything else needed for the brake system to mount up?

Thanks guys . . . .
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I used 00 forks and the brakes went right on with no issue at all. The line will need to have a clamp attached to the left fork guard and you will need to use the KX lower brake line guide because the fork guard WILL hit the KDX line guide when the forks get close to bottoming.

If you want to keep the head light you will need to get some UFO (?) universal rubber mounts for the bottom of the head light but the top should work just fine. I think I swaped them from side to side for some reason.

I measured the height from the floor to a spot I marked on the frame near the neck before and after the fork swap and it only went up about 1/8 of an inch so I was happy with the geometry of the bike.

When mounting your odo you will need to mount it so the cable is forward of the forks. I used a clutch cable guide from the old triple clamps mounted to the pinch bolt for the right fork guard guide and it seems to work well but I would be willing to change it if I came up with something else.

I would recommend having the steering stops built up about 1/8 inch or so taller so they will hit the stops a little better. Mine just touched flush before I did and I wanted a little extra above to add some strength. Might as well have the stops built up a little because many people have said the triples will hit the tank. Mine did not but they are very close.

I can probably get some pictures if needed.
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

Thanks rbates and everyone else. That's some good intel. I hate to be the whiner kid that asks a thousand questions.

Can't wait for everything to get back to me. Hoping I get it all right the first time so I can bolt up and RIDE.

Good ride cooking up day after Thanksgiving. REALLY want to test the bike out that day :)
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged