Got my Forks - DRZ

Questions and comments about converting to beefier forks..
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Got my Forks - DRZ

Post by gsa102 »

I will get the measurements and pics for you when I get home this weekend, I work on the road. I didn't get back from the race until it was already too dark to wash all the mud off of the bike. Sorry to hold you up. Anyway, the forks worked really well on the very rocky track.
This is my rifle, this is my gun, the YZ to go fast, the KDX is for fun!

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

Awesome to hear, I can't wait to test them everywhere. The reviews for these forks are insane and can't believe they aren't used today other than the drz. They literally are just as good as yamaha's SSS forks, but never caught on due to being conventionals(Suzuki was winning everything 96-98). One review I read was that guy was purposely taking the bad line on the mx track on purpose due to the fact they simply floated over. My only issue at this point is to decide what plastics/color combo I want to go with and whether or not use the stock RM number plate.
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Got my Forks - DRZ

Post by gsa102 »

This is the DRZ axle which is 9 - 5/8" long overall, shims arranged as installed a YZF wheel. From left to right, the spacers are:

Two pieces of a 3/4" SAE washer, .138" thick each. One is ground to clear the curve of the fork tube.

One YZF spacer, without the flange, .946" length

On the brake side:

One YZF spacer, with the flange, .794" length

One custom machined spacer, .372" thick, made out of 3/4" pipe. The axle is about flush with the outside edge of the fork with these installed.

Yes, these are easily the best forks I have ever had, they are never harsh or hacky. I need to go one or two sizes lighter on the springs, the DRZ ones are a little stiff for the KDX. I would install these on my 07 WR450 if i wasn't thinking about trading it in for a new race bike for my oldest boy.

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

Okay answers that question. 96-98 RM125 axles are different which is hilarious as they use the same forks/triples. Thanks for the info. Will post pics once I'm done :supz:
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Got my Forks - DRZ

Post by gsa102 »

In my research I found the RM forks were supposed to be the same externally, but were supposed to have smaller valve ports for mx use. So same triples and I would have thought the same axle.

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

Which is why I went the RM out since they're going on the YZ, and supposedly the MX valving on these forks are better off road which is all I do. Plan is once I can get some full time work is turn my 03 yz250 into a over glorified KDX. I made the mistake of buying it due to interest in motocross, but turns out there are no tracks in central oregon. Luckily it doesn't take much to turn them into XC monsters.
gsa102
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by gsa102 »

The YZ has pretty decent low end, so it is a good choice for off road. I raced an older one but the shock was pretty bad.

96 KDX 200, 09 YZ 250
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

Oh its a monster, but the gearing is off especially in tight trails or lava fields, need to go up a tooth in the rear. Plans are an 18 inch rear wheel, Rekluse EXP 2.0 clutch, 36mm pwk or lectron carb, vforce 3 reeds, and possibly an ESR 330 kit which I would probably go with a heavier flywheel. Debating about doing a wr tranny swap.
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

Oh best part about these forks, steering stops are perfect no mods needs lol. If only the stem were longer and it would have been a bolt on. No one is that lucky.
factoryX

Post by factoryX »

Going for a test ride today, but found out something about the DRZ forks vs. RM forks while changing fork fluid. The RM125/250 96-98 were dual chamber while the drz400 forks were open. I thought they were the same, but I guess suzuki went cheap lol.